Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhomayne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
I'm looking into getting an iBook, but also want to be able to use Garageband.

Now i know that only the powerbook has the line-in enabling me to plug my guitar straight into it, but i was wondering whether it would work out cheaper to get an iBook and some form of usb lin-in device, or just to get a powerbook?

cheers!

:)

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
From what I have read here in the forums (and I do not know this from personal experience so I may be wrong), GarageBand is VERY processor- and RAM-intensive; even Powerbooks tend to choke after the tracks start to mount. If this is true (and again it's only hearsay) and this is one of the primary ways in which you'll be using your new computer, then you'd be better off shelling out more money for a Powerbook.

In general, the "Power" series of Macs is geared much more towards audio and video editing than "i/e" series (hence the lack of line-in on the iBook).

Hope this helps.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Yes, it would be cheaper to buy the iBook and some kind of external device to handle your inputs. GarageBand isn't a pro level app so the iBook should run GarageBand just fine as long as you give it enough RAM. I wouldn't worry about choking it. I ran it on a 700mhz G3 iBook and wouldn't choke it until I had 6-7 live tracks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.