Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cam50626

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
My ibook has recently (the last 4 days or so) has been doing some strange things.

First of all, the mail client keeps asking me to set it up when i start it up, as though it has deleted my 2 email accounts i use with it.

Secondly, Disk images are failing to mount, giving me the message "verification failed".

Finally, WMV i use that are protected by DRM are not opening, giving me the message "cannot open the file. Very the path and filename and try again"

This all started happening after filevault asked me if i wanted to "clean up" the user area. While it was doing this I gave up, afetr 15 minutes, and stopped it by holding down the power button.

Everything then started to happen. What should I do? Is a reinstall in order here?

cam50626

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
Ok, and after the reinstall, shall i not bother with filevault?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Nah. FileVault slows things down and sometimes causes issues, as you found out.

Just out of interest though, check to see if the problems are on a new account too. If they're not, it may be easier to just transfer your settings and files to a new account rather than reinstall everything. :)

A reinstall is a safer option, but a new account may also work.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
mad jew said:
FileVault is notorious for causing issues like this. If possible, back up, reformat and reinstall, it's probably the easiest solution. :)

FileVault has some major issues that Apple needs to correct. Using FV made my HDD crash several times, and took forever to retrieve the extra HDD space during a shutdown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.