iBook gone from refurb store

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by zhensley, Apr 19, 2007.

1. zhensley macrumors member

Does this mean anything other than the fact they ran out?

I found it odd because I check the refurb store daily, and, unless I'm mistaken, the heading for "iBook" was still up there this week.

2. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Most likely the iBook is gone completely from the Refurb Store. When the eMac's were taken off the store, they never returned. The iBook will probably follow the same track. Oh well, there are much better deals for iBook's on the web anyway! :)

3. zhensley thread starter macrumors member

I was just wondering if that meant there would be an update or something...I figured it was just the phasing out, but I didn't know if phasing out meant phasing in of something else!

4. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

That's a damn shame. I wish I picked one up while Apple was still selling them.

5. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Well it is getting kinda dated.. but it was a nice alternative if u didnt want something as large as the macbook.. i used a g3 ibook 900mhz tho the other day and it seemed to be quicker than i thought it would be.

6. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

My wife still uses a G3 and loves it.

I had my eye on the G4s in the refurb store, but was hoping that they'd drop down to around 600 bucks. I just couldn't justify paying a Macbook price for an iBook.

7. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

If you still want to get an iBook, there are still many great deals on the web. I got my 1GHz iBook G4 for $547 shipped. Includes Airport Extreme card and a Combo drive. You can get a good deal from http://www.powerbookguy.com. I ordered from there and the service was excellent.

8. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

see sig. my one and only mac, and its still my primary comp : )
    plus, it was the fastest g3 imac ever created, which makes me hesitant to get rid of it :p its kind of like an antique i guess haha

9. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

I know I can find one if I really want one. I just prefer buying refurbs from Apple because I know they will be flawless.

10. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Thats true. The only thing refurbished I have purchased from Apple was my iPod Mini, and that was a horrible experience. Never bought a computer though.

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'm not that surprised that the iBook is gone from the refurbished store, I hadn't seen many of them showing up lately.

12. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

a powerbook or if possible a macbook would be more futureproof at this point.

13. Roba macrumors 6502

Some people are still using iBook's from 1999 as their main computer so i am sure that a iBook that is one or two years old would be fine for a few years yet.
    I thought about swapping my iBook for a 12 inch PB but i won't i like the fact that my ram can top out at 1.5GB.
    A 32 vram dedicated is fine for me for what i do and will be fine for a few years yet although the PB 12inch 64 dedicated VRAM is of course better.

If you want an iBook look around to see if you can buy one that is still under warranty or has Applecare. Try to get the last rev model if you can because they are speced out quite well and offer a few things that the earlier iBook's do not.

Edited to add:
    After googling this i have read that the ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 that is in the last Rev iBook is actually a better graphic card than the NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 that is in the last rev 12 inch PB.
    See this old thread on Macrumors.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=157072