iBook hard drive and super drive upgrade help!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Shanewilliams, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Well, now that I'm getting my MacBook after years of putting it off I want to pass my iBook g4 off to my daughter to use. My iBook as it is now is the 1.2ghz with 768mb of ram, 30gb hard drive and a combo drive. I'm looking to swap the 512 stick of ram out for a 1gb, forthis I can use pc2700 DDR sodimm 200 pin correct? On the hard drive either a pata or ata-6 would work right? Has anyone ever swapped out there combo drive for a super drive? Does the iBook automatically detect the change? Any help would be apreciated

2. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

yes to the memory, yes to the hard drive, and yes to the optical. the new hardware will all be picked up automatically.

getting the damn thing apart and back together with all 2 billion screws in the correct spots is all that stands between you and success!

check out ifixit.com for a nice upgrade/screw guide, and wait until to you have ALL the parts before taking it apart... you don't want to do that twice. best of luck.

EDIT: should add that i'd pick a 5400rpm drive. i've installed some 7200rpm drives, and they all ran really (REALLY) hot. couple eventually failed, but that was probably because they were seagate rather than hot...