Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
i ran disk utility and it gave the following:

"Invalid node structure.
Volume check failed.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit."

diskwarrior showed that the disk was fine, but when i ran rebuild directories, it said that there was a slowdown because of a disk failure. any other suggestions? thanks.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
kugino said:
diskwarrior showed that the disk was fine, but when i ran rebuild directories, it said that there was a slowdown because of a disk failure. any other suggestions? thanks.

Check the SMART status ASAP. If it's anything other then verified, have it replaced.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
i've tried repairing it a number of ways and nothing works. it's SMART verified and i do have a complete clone of my laptop so i'm not worried about losing data...the strange thing is that almost everything works normally, but spotlight doesn't work, terminal doesn't work, and i can't empty things from the trash...wonder if those apps are residing in the bad part of the disk. any other suggestions?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
If you have a complete back up, I'd stop messing with it and just reformat it (zero all data). Reinstall and start fresh.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
yellow said:
If you have a complete back up, I'd stop messing with it and just reformat it (zero all data). Reinstall and start fresh.
thanks, yellow. i erased and used CCC to clone my backup onto my ibook internal disk...and everything is working fine again.

two take-home lessons from this:
1. back up, back up, back up. i completely clone my laptop once/week and it served me very well in this fiasco. phew.
2. you guys/gals on this forum rock! thanks for everyone's quick suggestions and help. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.