iBook HD Not Visable

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WhitInTexas, Jul 16, 2009.

1. WhitInTexas macrumors newbie

I recently installed a Samsung Spinpoint 160GB hard drive into my wife's 12" iBook. I don't remember the speed but it is a later version. It has 512mb of RAM. When trying to install the OS the drive does not appear as a choice. I put it into target mode and the drive appears on the other computer. I was able to use disk utility with it in target mode to format and check for any problems. No problems were reported. I also installed the OS with target mode. When I try to boot the iBook the drive still does not appear and I get the ? folder.

Any ideas as to why it will appear as a target drive but not on it's own?

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

The drive needs to be formatted before installing OS X on it.
    After booting from your installer disc, go to the 'Utilities' menu and select 'Disk Utility'. Then select the drive and format it. Then you can quit Disk Utility and the drive will show up in the Installer.

3. WhitInTexas thread starter macrumors newbie

I formatted it in target mode. It would not show up to be formatted the other way.

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Make sure you partition it as Apple Partition Map (APM) as you need that to boot PPC macs, if you haven't done that already.

Did you format from an Intel Mac via Target disc mode? Read above as you can't partition it for GUID(Intel Macs), it must be APM.