iBook HD replacement - mounting the new drive?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Kevbot, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Kevbot macrumors newbie

Hello there,
    I recently went through the lengthy process of replacing the HD in my 1999 iBook clamshell. When booting from the OS X 10.3 install disc, the drive is grayed out and will not mount. I try to partition the drive and it takes about 30 minutes and says it completed the partition but nothing changed. Is there a way to force-mount the drive? It is brand new so should not be dead.... just really hoping I don't have to spend two hours taking this laptop apart again!

Thanks!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If anything, select the hard drive (not the volume) and click Erase rather than Partition. Enter "Macintosh HD" and choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format. It sounds like it came formatted in MBR from the factory, or the drive is the incorrect part.

3. Kevbot thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that as well and still cannot get the drive to mount :(.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

When you partition the drive, what are you partitioning it as?

You should have an Options button in Disk Utility. You want to partition as APM. I suspect too that given it's a Clamshell you'll also want to make sure OS9 drivers are installed.

Is the drive larger than 128GB? If so, you can only partition to that size. You'll need a tool such as Initech's HiCap driver to partition larger drivers fully.

I know too that in order to get Tiger to boot on my iMac G3, I had to make a small (less than 6GB) partition and install the OS to that partition. It was also necessary to make sure OS9 drivers were installed, even though I do not have OS9 on this Mac.

5. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

what model drive is it? For Macs that have 128GB HDD limit, I sometimes observed problems mounting big (mainly Seagate) drives.

6. Kevbot thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I bet it is the controller on the SSD failing to work with the ATA controller on the Logic Board!

8. Kevbot thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Potentially a firmware update on either the iBook or the SSD?

10. Kevbot thread starter macrumors newbie

How could I go about that without the computer being functional? I tried installing OS X on an external HD so I could troubleshoot from there but Panther won't let me do that. Is there another option?