Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iBook HDD failing?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yeah, I love these machines. I'm just sad about some though because in the moment I forget what my computing needs are and such and I end up buying/selling stuff that I do or don't need and then I end up going through that vicious cycle again.

For instance, my first PPC machine was a 12" 1.33Ghz iBook G4 with 1.5GB RAM and a 60GB HDD. Awesome machine and everything worked perfectly (I got it after having to sell my 2009 iMac for financial reasons). After that I got a 14" 1.42GHz iBook G4 (that was mistreated and I had to fix it even though that turned out to be a temporary repair job that ended up in a non-functional FW port, and then a failing KB).

I then acquired 3 iBook G3s in a trade plus a some of none from another member here (which is one of the ones that you got) for a PowerMac G4 with a display KB and mouse that he has now turned into a beast of a machine.

My current one I received from another MR member for free and it works like a charm. Well the HDD was failing but 10 years is pretty good for an original HDD in an iBook. It now has a new HDD thanks to the same guy that got the PM G4 from me and now it's rolling along wonderfully and it's all set to go!

Ah yes, eyoungren is a very nice and knowledgable guy. He helped me get Leopard running properly on my G5. Check out some of the UI stuff he suggested in my guide, it may help alot with graphics!

How is your other two G3s running? I am in the process of rebuilding the 600 MHz's logic board and fixing the display assembly on the 900 MHz ;). It is going great and they will be great OS 9 Macs or for Audacity purposes.

Comment

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Ah yes, eyoungren is a very nice and knowledgable guy. He helped me get Leopard running properly on my G5. Check out some of the UI stuff he suggested in my guide, it may help alot with graphics!

How is your other two G3s running? I am in the process of rebuilding the 600 MHz's logic board and fixing the display assembly on the 900 MHz ;). It is going great and they will be great OS 9 Macs or for Audacity purposes.

Oh those are gone. When trying to determine why one of them had a bad WiFi signal, I found other issues with it and tried to make one really good iBook out of them. That went to goodwill actually. What I sent to you was what was left that was the good stuff. Plus, my kids like the look of aluminum and like to bend things. So good for them with breaking stuff. :(

And yes, he is very nice. Plus it turns out that he and my computing interested are very similar as far as PPCs go but he prefers the desktops while I prefer the laptops (albeit the more under-powered ones). What I wanted to do at one point was make a clear iBook (and yes remove the EMI shields), RAID a couple of HDDs in there to get past the HDD size limitation and increase the speed if possible, remove the modem and insert a wireless-n antenna inside the machine and reverse a usb port to power it so that wires would not be seen....etc, etc. It would have been nice but I don't have the time and the parts for that project were taking up quite a bit of space that I also don't have.

Oh well. Maybe when the machines are free I can try it again!

Comment

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Oh those are gone. When trying to determine why one of them had a bad WiFi signal, I found other issues with it and tried to make one really good iBook out of them. That went to goodwill actually. What I sent to you was what was left that was the good stuff. Plus, my kids like the look of aluminum and like to bend things. So good for them with breaking stuff. :(

And yes, he is very nice. Plus it turns out that he and my computing interested are very similar as far as PPCs go but he prefers the desktops while I prefer the laptops (albeit the more under-powered ones). What I wanted to do at one point was make a clear iBook (and yes remove the EMI shields), RAID a couple of HDDs in there to get past the HDD size limitation and increase the speed if possible, remove the modem and insert a wireless-n antenna inside the machine and reverse a usb port to power it so that wires would not be seen....etc, etc. It would have been nice but I don't have the time and the parts for that project were taking up quite a bit of space that I also don't have.

Oh I see. I will keep you update with how I do with it. I got it running great though. I am more of a desktop guy but my MacBook Pro creams the G5 so i have been using that alot more lately. But I still use the G5 as the encoder for video.

Comment

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two

You mean this Mac? A Quicksilver with dual 1.73Ghz processors? :D

LOL, sorry, never miss an opportunity to show my Macs off. Just a small correction though. I do like the Quicksilvers, but with the exception of the PowerMac 9600 these are actually the only two desktop Macs I care for. My main interest with Macs lie with the Titanium and Aluminum line of PowerBook G4s, particularly the 17" models. No offense to anyone with any other desktop model of G4, PCI, AGP, DA or MDD and G5 owners, but these are just not pleasing to look at Macs, IMO. Just a personal preference. They are great Macs and for the extensibility factor I will probably get a MDD at some point along with a G5 Quad and I will sooner or later get back my own 1.8Ghz G5 from work, but these aren't Macs I am attracted to at all. Just me.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to give my two 17" PBs much play lately because one is awaiting a logicboard replacement and the other needs a new HD (I intend to put no less than the 320GB HD it has already back in). So, all my attention has been on the QS as of late. That, I suppose makes it seem like I prefer the desktops, but really it's just this one particular model.

Note: redcroissant, if it looks slightly different it's because I took the zip drive out and replaced it with that 200GB PATA drive you gave me. So…right now, it's got 2 500GB SATA drives, two 160GB PATA drives (RAIDed as one 300GB HD) and one 200GB PATA drive. Oh. And three extra fans, LOL!

Attachments

• 2014-04-05 08.40.23.jpg
    2014-04-05 08.40.23.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Comment

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
You mean this Mac? A Quicksilver with dual 1.73Ghz processors? :D

LOL, sorry, never miss an opportunity to show my Macs off. Just a small correction though. I do like the Quicksilvers, but with the exception of the PowerMac 9600 these are actually the only two desktop Macs I care for. My main interest with Macs lie with the Titanium and Aluminum line of PowerBook G4s, particularly the 17" models. No offense to anyone with any other desktop model of G4, PCI, AGP, DA or MDD and G5 owners, but these are just not pleasing to look at Macs, IMO. Just a personal preference. They are great Macs and for the extensibility factor I will probably get a MDD at some point along with a G5 Quad and I will sooner or later get back my own 1.8Ghz G5 from work, but these aren't Macs I am attracted to at all. Just me.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to give my two 17" PBs much play lately because one is awaiting a logicboard replacement and the other needs a new HD (I intend to put no less than the 320GB HD it has already back in). So, all my attention has been on the QS as of late. That, I suppose makes it seem like I prefer the desktops, but really it's just this one particular model.

Note: redcroissant, if it looks slightly different it's because I took the zip drive out and replaced it with that 200GB PATA drive you gave me. So…right now, it's got 2 500GB SATA drives, two 160GB PATA drives (RAIDed as one 300GB HD) and one 200GB PATA drive. Oh. And three extra fans, LOL!

What a nice system you have there, eyoungren.

Comment

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
What a nice system you have there, eyoungren.
Just call me Erik! :D

Thanks! I'm working on it. Once I get the cash I can buy some converter boxes that will let me use one of the video cards I have and my other two Studio displays, instead of this mishmash of monitors I have now. Work in progress.

The inside cleaned up well though once I got some tubing. Looked like a rats nest of cables before that.

Comment

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Yes! Someone gets it! :D

Oh I get it!! I just never know who you're comfortable with knowing your real name! After all, you could be a....SPY....!!!!! :eek:

Anyway, what you have done with that PM is amazing. I know that I've said that before, but it's even more true now than it was then!

If I still had it, it would be sitting under my desk and connected to that really ugly and not so great display that ended up dying on you anyway.
The same goes with the iBook and associated parts that I sent to Altemose, they would have kept sitting in a box. So now they're being used and that's awesome.

AND, now I need help from the PPC community to make my wireless -N antenna work on my iBook (that is if anyone has the time or the knowledge necessary to do so)..

The wireless-n usb antenna (it's big) is :

POWERLINK Ultra High Power Wireless-N usb adapter that is compatible with PPC machines and Leopard only.
Part#: PL-H5DN-3070
S/N: PLU3010|001765

And yes, that symbol is on the device which is why I included it).

Basically, I know this thing works because the iMac G5 (the one that you have, Erik) was given to me with the OS preloaded on it and with the antenna connected properly and with the correct drivers to get a REALLY good signal. This would be beneficial to me of course for the lack of needed an ethernet cable connected all the time to get good internet speeds.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

----------

Hello again,

What guide are you talking about? I want it!

Comment

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
Oh I get it!! I just never know who you're comfortable with knowing your real name! After all, you could be a....SPY....!!!!! :eek:
Spy, no, LOL!

No, I'm comfortable with that. Basically, I see it this way…anonymity on a user forum is a good thing except when it gets in the way of talking to regulars and users who have become friends. For me, that's when it becomes a first name or real name basis.

That said, unless someone specifically uses their name in the open forum or tells me that it's ok to use their name, I only use their username. I have that policy for myself in every user forum I am a part of. I know the real names of several users here and in other forums but I would never use their real names unless it was ok with them.

As to the WiFi device you have, sorry, I don't know much about it. Alternose though, was referring to the thread he started that's farther on down the page there.

Comment

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

Anyway, what you have done with that PM is amazing. I know that I've said that before, but it's even more true now than it was then!

If I still had it, it would be sitting under my desk and connected to that really ugly and not so great display that ended up dying on you anyway.
The same goes with the iBook and associated parts that I sent to Altemose, they would have kept sitting in a box. So now they're being used and that's awesome.

AND, now I need help from the PPC community to make my wireless -N antenna work on my iBook (that is if anyone has the time or the knowledge necessary to do so)..

POWERLINK Ultra High Power Wireless-N usb adapter that is compatible with PPC machines and Leopard only.

Basically, I know this thing works because the iMac G5 (the one that you have, Erik) was given to me with the OS preloaded on it and with the antenna connected properly and with the correct drivers to get a REALLY good signal. This would be beneficial to me of course for the lack of needed an ethernet cable connected all the time to get good internet speeds.

----------

Hello again,

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1723868/

It is right there. Keep in mind it is only compatible with Leopard. Read the whole thing before attempting anything as Intell chimed in with some good restrictions.

Spy, no, LOL!

No, I'm comfortable with that. Basically, I see it this way…anonymity on a user forum is a good thing except when it gets in the way of talking to regulars and users who have become friends. For me, that's when it becomes a first name or real name basis.

That said, unless someone specifically uses their name in the open forum or tells me that it's ok to use their name, I only use their username. I have that policy for myself in every user forum I am a part of. I know the real names of several users here and in other forums but I would never use their real names unless it was ok with them.

As to the WiFi device you have, sorry, I don't know much about it. Alternose though, was referring to the thread he started that's farther on down the page there.

Alternose? That made me laugh for a good while.

Comment

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

----------

Hello again,

I sent you a PM about the driver.

Comment

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
It's all good. It was actually really funny. Let me ask you a question. Do you own a MDD?
Nope, just a Quicksilver. I like the MDDs from the standpoint of how expandable they are and what you can do with them. The case also seems to have more room than the QS. But, I just don't care for the looks.

I think if the HK speaker had been recessed and moved down like where the QS has it I may have liked it more, but it wasn't. It's just a personal dislike of the looks is all. The MDDs are good Macs.

Comment

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Nope, just a Quicksilver. I like the MDDs from the standpoint of how expandable they are and what you can do with them. The case also seems to have more room than the QS. But, I just don't care for the looks.

I think if the HK speaker had been recessed and moved down like where the QS has it I may have liked it more, but it wasn't. It's just a personal dislike of the looks is all. The MDDs are good Macs.

I have an MDD that needs work. Also a dual 800 MHz QS lying around :D The MDD freezes randomly so I am thinking of dropping the Logic Board and checking all the caps and new thermal paste.

Comment

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
I have an MDD that needs work. Also a dual 800 MHz QS lying around :D The MDD freezes randomly so I am thinking of dropping the Logic Board and checking all the caps and new thermal paste.
If you're offering, I'd take them off your hands. My only problem is I can't afford shipping and free is about the only justification I could go to my wife with right now, LOL! :D

If you're just asking for advice, I'd start by getting some temp readings on the MDD. I was having freezing issues with my QS when I was running it at 1.8Ghz (dual). It's a heat issue that just won't be solved without some modifications that I don't have the cash to pay for. So, I think you're probably on the right track as far as thermal paste as that would imply that the CPU(s) are overheating.

Comment

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
If you're offering, I'd take them off your hands. My only problem is I can't afford shipping and free is about the only justification I could go to my wife with right now, LOL! :D

If you're just asking for advice, I'd start by getting some temp readings on the MDD. I was having freezing issues with my QS when I was running it at 1.8Ghz (dual). It's a heat issue that just won't be solved without some modifications that I don't have the cash to pay for. So, I think you're probably on the right track as far as thermal paste as that would imply that the CPU(s) are overheating.

I only ever pulled the 'sinks off my dual 1.8 G5. How bad is the MDD to pull out the heat sink?

Comment

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
I only ever pulled the 'sinks off my dual 1.8 G5. How bad is the MDD to pull out the heat sink?
No idea! I haven't done that as I don't have an MDD and have never worked on one. I didn't even have to remove the heatsink on my QS because I bought it with a processor upgrade. Whomever had installed it had already done that. Of course, the old heatsink was long gone though. When I got the new processor upgrade the heatsink for it was already on it.

Have you looked at iFixit? Should be easy to see how hard (or not) this would be over there.

Comment

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
No idea! I haven't done that as I don't have an MDD and have never worked on one. I didn't even have to remove the heatsink on my QS because I bought it with a processor upgrade. Whomever had installed it had already done that. Of course, the old heatsink was long gone though. When I got the new processor upgrade the heatsink for it was already on it.

Have you looked at iFixit? Should be easy to see how hard (or not) this would be over there.

So which computer did Mr. Ryan give to you, the QS you have now with the processor upgrades?

Comment

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
So which computer did Mr. Ryan give to you, the QS you have now with the processor upgrades?
Well, the short version is yes…;)

I got the Mac with the following specs:
1.2 GHz, 1.12 GB RAM, 40GB HDD
running OS X 10.5.8
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX Graphics Card
Includes:
Apple Pro Keyboard
Apple Pro Mouse
Apple Pro Speakers
19" Rosewill Display (later died on me)
original documentation
original installation discs(set of 4)

The 1.2Ghz upgrade was a Sonnet. But, the QS I have now has been seriously upgraded.
• 1.73Ghz Dual 7447A G4 Giga Designs processor card. I bought an upgrade card (1.6ghz dual) from another user who was parting out a perfectly functional Sawtooth. But, the heatsink on that card faced the wrong direction and there was no way I could work it to use it. Another user had the Giga Designs card I use now. He had issues with it so he traded me cards. Since mine had come from a Sawtooth and he had a Sawtooth this was a win/win for both of us.
• 2x 160GB HD (PATA). I raided them for a 300GB drive
• 1.5GB ram (maxed out)
• PCI SATA Card. PC, $10, I flashed it to Mac which allowed me to add…
• 2x 500GB SATA HDs
• 200GB HD (PATA), courtesy of RedCroissant
• 1 ATI Rage 128 Card
• 1 USB/FW 400 combo card (which died, but has since been replaced)
• 1 ATI Radeon 9200 video card (died, been replaced)
• 1 ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card (waiting to be installed as it does not have ADC) I have a second card that has a cooler (no fan) that was generously given to me by another user
• ATI Radeon 7000 (flashed from PC, dual monitor card) replaced the 9200
• USB 2.0 card (4-port) replaced the USB/FW combo card
• Dual Layer superdrive (R/W CDs, DVDs and dual layer DVDs)
• 20" Cinema Display
• 2x 17" Studio Displays
• Black tubing to clean up the rats nest of cables
• eyeTV 200 courtesy of another user - ths has eliminated my plans for a TV-tuner card
• eyeHome courtesy of another user
• I have also cleaned the case out, replaced the main case fan, found and replaced the small CPU intake fan (per the Giga Designs CPU instructions), replaced the PSU fan and installed three additional fans. All the replacement fans have a signifigant CFM boost over the previous ones. I however, cannot seem to find a replacement fan for the stock CPU intake fan that has a better CFM than what the stock one has.

Future upgrades include an ATX power supply (I found a guy who has a business of fabricating the converter cable from the ATX supply to the QS logicboard). $30 per cable, but I don't have to make it myself. Three ADC/DVI converter boxes so I can run the Cinema and Studio displays off my preferred video cards. And if I should ever get the cash, liquid cooling for the CPUs so I can get this Mac up to 1.8Ghz dual without it freezing on me. Possibly too a case mod that integrates fans in to the top and bottom of the case so I can eliminate the "free standing" ones I have.

So, yes, this is the QS RedCroissant gave me, but it's not. If you get what I mean.

Last edited:
Comment

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Well, the short version is yes…;)

I got the Mac with the following specs:
1.2 GHz, 1.12 GB RAM, 40GB HDD
running OS X 10.5.8
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX Graphics Card
Includes:
Apple Pro Keyboard
Apple Pro Mouse
Apple Pro Speakers
19" Rosewill Display (later died on me)
original documentation
original installation discs(set of 4)

The 1.2Ghz upgrade was a Sonnet. But, the QS I have now has been seriously upgraded.
• 1.73Ghz Dual 7447A G4 Giga Designs processor card. I bought an upgrade card (1.6ghz dual) from another user who was parting out a perfectly functional Sawtooth. But, the heatsink on that card faced the wrong direction and there was no way I could work it to use it. Another user had the Giga Designs card I use now. He had issues with it so he traded me cards. Since mine had come from a Sawtooth and he had a Sawtooth this was a win/win for both of us.
• 2x 160GB HD (PATA). I raided them for a 300GB drive
• 1.5GB ram (maxed out)
• PCI SATA Card. PC, $10, I flashed it to Mac which allowed me to add…
• 2x 500GB SATA HDs
• 200GB HD (PATA), courtesy of RedCroissant
• 1 ATI Rage 128 Card
• 1 USB/FW 400 combo card (which died, but has since been replaced)
• 1 ATI Radeon 9200 video card (died, been replaced)
• 1 ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card (waiting to be installed as it does not have ADC) I have a second card that has a cooler (no fan) that was generously given to me by another user
• ATI Radeon 7000 (flashed from PC, dual monitor card) replaced the 9200
• USB 2.0 card (4-port) replaced the USB/FW combo card
• Dual Layer superdrive (R/W CDs, DVDs and dual layer DVDs)
• 20" Cinema Display
• 2x 17" Studio Displays
• Black tubing to clean up the rats nest of cables
• eyeTV 200 courtesy of another user - ths has eliminated my plans for a TV-tuner card
• eyeHome courtesy of another user
• I have also cleaned the case out, replaced the main case fan, found and replaced the small CPU intake fan (per the Giga Designs CPU instructions), replaced the PSU fan and installed three additional fans. All the replacement fans have a signifigant CFM boost over the previous ones. I however, cannot seem to find a replacement fan for the stock CPU intake fan that has a better CFM than what the stock one has.

Future upgrades include an ATX power supply (I found a guy who has a business of fabricating the converter cable from the ATX supply to the QS logicboard). $30 per cable, but I don't have to make it myself. Three ADC/DVI converter boxes so I can run the Cinema and Studio displays off my preferred video cards. And if I should ever get the cash, liquid cooling for the CPUs so I can get this Mac up to 1.8Ghz dual without it freezing on me. Possibly too a case mod that integrates fans in to the top and bottom of the case so I can eliminate the "free standing" ones I have.

So, yes, this is the QS RedCroissant gave me, but it's not. If you get what I mean.

Yes I do. Right now I am working on the MDD. I am about to pull the sink off but first added a 160 OEM Apple HD to total 320 GB, and bumped it to 2 GB. Since this was freezing, I took the ATI Radeon 9000 out and put it in my dual 800 QS. I am going to transfer that back after the freezing is resolved.

Comment

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
There are two small fans on the heatsink. Those are stock from the Giga Designs CPUs. I added the fan on top of that. The fan to the right is the stock CPU intake fan. Technically I don't really need the bigger fan on top of the two smaller fans but it does in fact add to the cooling inside the box itself.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.