Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2002
sweet, i like that program for graphing the heat. i just use a CPU heat gauge widget to check mine. Usually it is the highest right after i play some UT2k4 (around 68c). i wouldnt worry too much about 70c, 80 is the melting point. i dont know this for a fact but i think it will be ok up to about 74c after that it will probably get unstable and shut itself off before it would really overheat and get damaged. anyone want to test this? yeah i didnt think so.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
My ibook (see signature), using a temperature widget, usually reads between 112 F and 119 F with two to three non graphic intensive programs running. Once though I decided to convert this 7.5 gigabyte dv movie in iMovie into Quicktime format because I don't have a DVD burner. The whole process took about a half an hour, and I noticed the ibook got very hot, at least 152 F or maybe 159 F according to the widget. Is this normal? It was on a flat surface with plenty of ventilation space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.