ibook help broke noobie

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by krypticos, Nov 9, 2007.

1. krypticos macrumors regular

hello i just got an ibook the other day and it was working fine and then i wanted to update the os from 10.2 to 10.3 had disk and then got an error so tried it agian same thing went back to 10.2 reinstalled it and then it will not boot it freezes at the apple screen with a line over the apple i have an old hard drive out of a pc would it work in ibook

ibook
    600 mhz
    384 mb ram
    18gb hd
    cdrw/dvd

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What are the specifications of the PC drive? It could possibly work... What was the error you got? Can you boot from OS discs? :)

3. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

drive specs 20 gb ata and 5400rpm i think and how do you boot from cd i hold c down and it just trys to load the installer

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Mad Jew always asks the right questions. Heed his advice when offered.

If you can boot from the install disc, run disk utility and see if it reports either a SMART error or any other errors.

5. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

the error i got when installing 10.3 was in/out read error so i tried agian got same thing then installed back to 10.2 and wi freezes everytime i boot now but when i hold c it trys to load cd but it does not it just sets there on the load screen i left for 40 min nothin just sets there and trys to load

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I dunno about that disconap. :eek:

Yeah, you can boot form the CD if you're getting to the installer. If not, then try holding OPTION instead of C. That drive should work, too. This is a pretty good guide on how to do it yourself. :)

7. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

8. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

ok so if i can get to installer how do i boot from disk and it sees my hard drive at least when i did load to the installer so is it a bad drive or just messed up updating because so far i have bot 2 macs and one is old world and i dont care for it and it works with extionsions off only and then this i get it works great then this lol i still want to use one every time they brake lol

9. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

WHAT :confused: :eek:

Would you care to re-word that with some punctuation?

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Use Disk Utility on the CD (it's in one of the menus but I forget which) to repair the drive, if possible. If it manages to repair itself, then you may need an Archive & Install to get your data back unless you have an external drive case or another Mac from which you might try Target Disk Mode.

11. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

thank you very much and i hate using .,' and all that i can barly spell lol

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries. Just don't attempt the Archive & Install if the drive hasn't been repaired. :)