Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
so I bought a new macbook about 10 days ago, which as it turns out, was a great move. Not only do I love it (best mac I've ever owned), but my ibook's HD failed last friday. So I took it to the apple store, and while I was there, pointed out 3 other minor things that were wrong with it.
1. LED on battery didn't work
2. trackpad made "clicking" sounds when touched (even if not pressed)
3. tiny bright spot on screen (LCD had previously been replaced for this issue but one spot came back)

So the genius agreed that these were all issues (very nice guy, was great to deal with) and sent in the ibook with a repair order for all of the above plus the dead HD.

Got the ibook back today. The battery isn't fixed (or replaced). The trackpad isn't fixed, apparently because they misunderstood the genius' notes (they fixed a squeaky left palm rest, not the "gritty" trackpad). And the bright spot is still there.

They did replace the HD, and they fixed the squeaky palm rest, which is cool because I didn't ask them to, but it was annoying.

However. There are 3 unresolved issues - the LED, the trackpad, and the bright spot. Further, apple damaged the ibook when they fixed the squeak. The casing on left palm rest is no longer even top and bottom; they bent the lower plastic pretty badly.

SIGH. I do have the macbook, so this is ok, but my gf has been using the ibook, and I'd like to sell it at some point. If I didn't have the macbook I'd be really screwed by all this. Guess it's going back to the apple store... :(

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
QCassidy352 said:
so I bought a new macbook about 10 days ago, which as it turns out, was a great move. Not only do I love it (best mac I've ever owned), but my ibook's HD failed last friday. So I took it to the apple store, and while I was there, pointed out 3 other minor things that were wrong with it.
1. LED on battery didn't work
2. trackpad made "clicking" sounds when touched (even if not pressed)
3. tiny bright spot on screen (LCD had previously been replaced for this issue but one spot came back)

So the genius agreed that these were all issues (very nice guy, was great to deal with) and sent in the ibook with a repair order for all of the above plus the dead HD.

Got the ibook back today. The battery isn't fixed (or replaced). The trackpad isn't fixed, apparently because they misunderstood the genius' notes (they fixed a squeaky left palm rest, not the "gritty" trackpad). And the bright spot is still there.

They did replace the HD, and they fixed the squeaky palm rest, which is cool because I didn't ask them to, but it was annoying.

However. There are 3 unresolved issues - the LED, the trackpad, and the bright spot. Further, apple damaged the ibook when they fixed the squeak. The casing on left palm rest is no longer even top and bottom; they bent the lower plastic pretty badly.

SIGH. I do have the macbook, so this is ok, but my gf has been using the ibook, and I'd like to sell it at some point. If I didn't have the macbook I'd be really screwed by all this. Guess it's going back to the apple store... :(

Did you take it to Clarendon?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
iGary said:
Did you take it to Clarendon?

yep! They were quite helpful in-store... the problem was once it got to the service center. I've been to many apple stores and I have to say the Clarendon folks were the nicest. By contrast, the Pentagon City folks have always been real jerks.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
arg, also noticed that they scratched up the top casing pretty well. :mad: I can't do it today, but tomorrow it goes back to the apple store with my polite but firm complaints...

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
QCassidy352 said:
yep! They were quite helpful in-store... the problem was once it got to the service center. I've been to many apple stores and I have to say the Clarendon folks were the nicest. By contrast, the Pentagon City folks have always been real jerks.

I drove in circles up and down Clarendon and Wilson for about 15 minutes trying to find the damn store on Macbook release day. That was embarassing.

Cute shopping center, though. People were nice, although I was only in the store for maybe 2 minutes. I usually go to Tysons, but they were sold out.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
gloss said:
I drove in circles up and down Clarendon and Wilson for about 15 minutes trying to find the damn store on Macbook release day. That was embarassing.

Cute shopping center, though. People were nice, although I was only in the store for maybe 2 minutes. I usually go to Tysons, but they were sold out.

oh, is Tysons nice? I should go there some time; I like checking out new apple stores. :)

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
That sucks.

The Genius at the Annapolis store was very helpful for my iBook G3s bad logic board. He even had the HD upped from 20 to 30GB, which quite helped.

Maybe you should go there? The genius had black spiky hair, and glasses for reference.

Of course, thats if they all still work there, after iGary and his Dual 2.7 came through. :p

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
QCassidy352 said:
oh, is Tysons nice? I should go there some time; I like checking out new apple stores. :)

Tysons is nice, but really busy. I know a few people who work there, though, so I like to stop by and say hi.

I recommend stopping by and going to the Coastal Flats in the mall, too. Yum.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
tyson's is only busy on the weekends and release days. i would try bethesda row and montgomery mall, too, both of which are generally less busy. but of all the apple stores in the dc area, tyson's is the nicest.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
update

after taking my ibook in on wednesday (6/7) and getting a genius to re-confirm all the issues, plus admit the physical damage done by the last round of repairs, I hear nothing from apple until this morning. Now I get an e mail saying that the depot has received my ibook and is diagnosing it. How exactly does it take from wednesday to monday for my ibook to go from the apple store to the repair facility? Last repair, I had it back in as much time... :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.