Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
I have a Current Generation 14' iBook, G4 1.33Ghz, 768MB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, and the default 60GB 4200rpm Hard Drive. How much performance would I stand to gain from a 7200rpm Drive? I am not concerned with battery life or anything, just speed. Would it be a worth while upgrade? or should I just leave it as it is until Its time for a new computer?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
It would make a big difference, but to perhaps save some battery life get a 5400 rpm drive (or is it 5200? I can't remember now).

The speed difference is noticeable on startup, launching programs, etc.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
I have to plead ignorance here, I wasn't aware you could install a 5400rpm in an iBook (I'm not a computer person, hence why I like Macs!)

I take it Apple can't do it for you though?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
cooknwitha said:
I have to plead ignorance here, I wasn't aware you could install a 5400rpm in an iBook (I'm not a computer person, hence why I like Macs!)

I take it Apple can't do it for you though?

If you've already got an iBook, then you can send it off to someone like http://www.nextbyte.com.au/ (although I don't think they're in Tassie, maybe just try your local reseller) to get a new disk put in. I upgraded mine last year and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. It's much faster. :)

If you're not a computer person, do not try this. It's a very complicated process changing your own iBook hard drive.

BTW, I'm almost sure the iBook can pretty much take any 2.5-inch (notebook) hard drive you'll find, irrespective of speed. There are some that are a little too tall though, but they're pretty rare.

Hyperchaotic

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2005
7200 sucking too much juice is popular misconception

Mechcozmo said:
It would make a big difference, but to perhaps save some battery life get a 5400 rpm drive (or is it 5200? I can't remember now).

Everybody always say this, but real tests seems to suggest that the difference in power consumption is small - minutes of battery life.

Tomshardware test

I put the 7200 rpm Hitachi in my old Dell and the speed boost was quite noticeable. I love it :D (still dreaming of replacing it with a Mac though)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 7200rpm drive run hotter than the standard 4200rpm drive? Isn't the problem of upgrading more to do with melting the iBook's internals than running out of battery. I never put my hard drive under heaps of stress and I didn't have the 4200 for very long so I can't remember if there was a noticeable difference for me - a pretty average user who really doesn't push the disk too much.

macorama

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Why not just grab an external firewire drive? You won't have lose any battery life or have to worry about heat. Any firewire drive should beat any drive you can get into your ibook, and if you need to be portable, just copy back to your ibook as required.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
macorama said:
Why not just grab an external firewire drive? You won't have lose any battery life or have to worry about heat. Any firewire drive should beat any drive you can get into your ibook, and if you need to be portable, just copy back to your ibook as required.

Yeah, that's a pretty cool idea but there's something so great about having it all built into the machine. It's cleaner and easier. But you're right, if you want any real size in your hard drive, you'll have to go external.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
mad jew said:
If you've already got an iBook, then you can send it off to someone like http://www.nextbyte.com.au/ (although I don't think they're in Tassie, maybe just try your local reseller) to get a new disk put in. I upgraded mine last year and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. It's much faster. :)

I don't have an iBook just yet. I'm waiting for the update but one aspect that put me off them a little was the slower HD. But if it's possible to fix that then I might just do that.

What type of drive did you get and how much was it? And have you experienced any heat problems?

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
I've heard of one person that installed a 7200 rpm in his iBook. It's definitely an improvement in terms of speed but it does run hot.

I'm getting a 5400 rpm Seagate to put in my system. I like the fact that you have a 5 yr warranty.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
mad jew said:

If you're not a computer person, do not try this. It's a very complicated process changing your own iBook hard drive.

BTW, I'm almost sure the iBook can pretty much take any 2.5-inch (notebook) hard drive you'll find, irrespective of speed. There are some that are a little too tall though, but they're pretty rare.

Apple will do it but they charge an installation fee. And the iBook takes 2.5" 9mm drives IIRC.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
cooknwitha said:
I don't have an iBook just yet. I'm waiting for the update but one aspect that put me off them a little was the slower HD. But if it's possible to fix that then I might just do that.

What type of drive did you get and how much was it? And have you experienced any heat problems?

I got a 5400rpm 80GB drive more to overcome the issue of a lack of space on the original rather than any speed bumps. Actually, I didn't notice any speed or heat difference between the 4200rpm and 5400rpm drives. I've used a very similar iBook with a 7200rpm drive and it did seem a little warmer but nothing too noticeable. I don't think it'll do any damage to your iBook unless you hack it and make it run while it's still closed, which I don't recommend. A 7200rpm drive really should be fine.

Mechcozmo said:
Apple will do it but they charge an installation fee. And the iBook takes 2.5" 9mm drives IIRC.

Thanks for that, I couldn't remember how short the drives had to be. As for Apple installing them, do you mean just the usual BTO options on the website or can you actually send your iBook off somewhere to have the changes? I haven't found anything on Apple's site to back this up, but it'd be really cool if you could. :)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
mad jew said:
Thanks for that, I couldn't remember how short the drives had to be. As for Apple installing them, do you mean just the usual BTO options on the website or can you actually send your iBook off somewhere to have the changes? I haven't found anything on Apple's site to back this up, but it'd be really cool if you could. :)

Walk into an Apple store....

Hyperchaotic said:
Everybody always say this, but real tests seems to suggest that the difference in power consumption is small - minutes of battery life.

I need every second of my battery some days... I do know that it can save battery life but it was a warning if you wanted to know/care.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Well I really dont care too much about battery life for me and Performance is everything to me right now. Thats why I want this Hard Drive upgrade.

I have my iBook plugged in about 99% of the day. Its only unplugged when sleeping, moving from point A to B.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
iBunny said:
Well I really dont care too much about battery life for me and Performance is everything to me right now. Thats why I want this Hard Drive upgrade.

I have my iBook plugged in about 99% of the day. Its only unplugged when sleeping, moving from point A to B.

Careful if you do that...
Linkety

BKKloppenborg

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
La Mesa, Ca
wow i didn't know you could do this with a HD can you also do it with Video Memory to? Get more and have Apple or Autherized retailer do it or no?

gwimby

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
wow i didn't know you could do this with a HD can you also do it with Video Memory to? Get more and have Apple or Autherized retailer do it or no?

I highly doubt it. It's possible, but the cost would be incredible.
The HD is just taking the 'book apart and replacing a part, the
video ram is soldered onto the logic board. It would take a skilled
person some time to do this.

BKKloppenborg

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
La Mesa, Ca
gwimby said:

I highly doubt it. It's possible, but the cost would be incredible.
The HD is just taking the 'book apart and replacing a part, the
video ram is soldered onto the logic board. It would take a skilled
person some time to do this.

damn that sucks... Thanks for info...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.