iBook -- how to become an author ?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lawlist, Feb 4, 2012.

1. lawlist macrumors member

Has anyone written an article to teach how to write and publish your own iBook? I'm interested in writing something . . .

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

3. lawlist thread starter macrumors member

Example:

Step 1: Be talented.

Step 2: lawlist writes a book:

How to publish an iBook, by lawlist:

It is as easy as 1, 2, 3 . . .

The end,

Credits: A special thanks to the forums hosted by MacRumors and the users who contributed.

Step 3: Okay, now the book is ready to be published. What else is needed? Is there any downloadable iBook utility tool to add illustrations, and chapter markings, etc? Do I just send the written book into Apple to be published?

4. ozengo macrumors newbie

ozengo

how to become an author

hi lawlist

you may be interested in David Gaughran's ebook about self-publishing. It deals with e-books rather than the iBooks software itself but it is probably worth understanding the landscape a little bit before embarking upon such a major project. I don't mean that to sound condescending - I am writing a book myself and felt like an absolute newbie as far as the e-book industry was concerned. David's book was a fantastic resource for me, answering lots of questions (and raising some new ones) - hence my rather euphoric review of it on my blog - see http://purplezengoat.com/2012/01/27/newbie-guide-to-digital-self-publishing/

Hope this is of use to you. Like you I am also interested in anyone with more in-depth info about iBooks.

Kind regards

Ozengo

5. slpslee macrumors newbie

This book is free, and seems to be pretty useful:

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920025597.do

You do have to sign up to receive their newsletter, but so far they haven't inundated me with advertising.

Other than that, it's pretty easy to use iBooks Author. You just have to have an idea and then write it down. The app takes care of the rest. I've been using it to generate a lot of program summary brochures and descriptions that I would normally have print-published, and it's super. They look so professional. Of course, if your audience doesn't own an iPad, they're hosed, but that's not my problem.;) I generally also export a low-res *.pdf for everybody else.

Jumsoft also has a set of templates available on the MacApp store that are very nice and just add a little interest from the 6 stock iBooks templates. You can design your own, but I haven't had the time to get into that yet.

6. ozengo macrumors newbie

ozengo

iBooks

thank you for that link, slpslee; looks like an interesting resource!

kind regards

ozengo