iBook/iPod. Those were the days.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by page3, Nov 8, 2015.

1. page3 macrumors 6502

Been feeling retro today so dug out my old G3 iBook and iPod (original).

The battery in the iBook won't hold charge, but the iPod is still working perfectly.

I'm quite surprised just how good the sound is!

IMG_5032.JPG

2. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Those were great days, kinda miss the clear acrylic days... Pulled out my old MDD G4 to pull off some videos the other day, still have 2 original 5GB iPods.

Don't get the same feeling from todays offerings...

3. Jessica Lares, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015

Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Very nice. My original FireWire cable for my 3rd gen is still intact. Meanwhile, I'm on my third Lightning cable and this last one is probably about to croak on me some time soon. Heh.

Yeah, today's stuff is so different. If it wasn't the fact that the plastic around my charging port was all messed up, I'd give the modding a try.

4. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

I still have my iBook G4, my powermac G5, and my first iPod (a 3rd generation classic). And you're right, Apple's products don't evoke that same excitement that those old products did. Everything is trying to be mobile, even their desktops. Their designs tried to be something different. I really liked them.

I still use my 3rd generation iPod in my project car. It works perfectly with the stereo in there.

5. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Back then I felt like I was on the cusp of something with devices that were truly special. Now I feel I'm on the tail end with something mass-produced.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I don't think too much about the hardware. I mean, it was great, but so was listening to songs and albums for the first time on these devices, getting into "new to me" artists and bands, and that is still something I continue to enjoy.

7. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

What do you do with your cables!? :eek:
    Climb trees!? :p

In all seriousness, I've only broken one cable in all my years of Apple devices, but I know some people who are on there 3/4 cable either for iOS or a Mac charger.

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I tripped over my MacBook Pro's charger and went flying across the room once. :p :eek:

My lightning cables just unravel. They'd probably work fine without the plastic around them, but I wouldn't think that's safe. Luckily I haven't had to buy any yet because every time I had bought a new device, I'd just keep using the first one and keep the others to the side.

The problematic part with the iPods for me were always the earphones. So the EarPods were a nice upgrade as far as a basic set goes. And they look nice with pretty much any of these old iPods too. Which I guess is the nice thing about most Apple design in general.

9. Jack Neill macrumors member

Jack Neill

I loved those g3 and g4 iBooks. A PAIN to work tho...

10. mccjim12 macrumors member

You inspired me! I've had the iBook for a few years but I just got the iPod on eBay recently for $20. Threw a new battery in and it's working awesome!

Attached Files: