Ibook is freezing. Is it time to get a Macbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by babond, Nov 11, 2007.

1. babond macrumors member

So I've had my G4 ibook since December of 2003. This computer has NEVER caused me any problems and has never froze or anything of that nature till today. I was surfing the web and all of the sudden the top portion of screen was coverd in grey lines. I couldn't move anything. I rebooted and then it was fine and I went to church and when i returned there was a grey box that said "restart computer" (or something of that nature). THen I continued to shut it on and off many times and sometimes I would be able to get to my desktop and browse around for 3-5minutes and then sometimes I couldn't get past the start up. When it froze about the last 20times today I could sometimes move the mouse but not click on anything or I couldnt move the mouse at all. I browsed around a bit and this sounds like a logic board. Anyways I'm trying to decide if I should try to get it fixed or just replace it with a new Macbook. I would prolly need a credit card or something because right now I only have $800 and the one I want with 2GB and applecare is $1,600 :(

2. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

while a macbook would be fun to have, do you really need it, or can you really afford it. If you can afford it, then go for it. If it were me though, i'd go talk or call apple and see how much it would cost to repair that logic board because the iBook is a great computer.

3. polycat33 macrumors 6502

You should at least find out how much it would cost to fix it, and get a real diagnosis of the problem instead of just your guess, before you blow all the cash you have, and $800 you don't have.