iBook keyboard

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by js81, Sep 5, 2014.

1. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

So I bought a couple of VERY cheap iBook G4s on eBay... one has a bad keyboard. Are the keyboards interchangeable between the 12" and the 14"? The keyboard is bad in the 14 but the one in the 12 is good - any reason I can't just switch them for testing purposes? Plus, the 12" keyboard seems plentiful on eBay while the 14's are few and far between (and more money). Thanks!

2. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

I'd reckon if the connectors are the same, I'd go ahead and try.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I believe the 14" has a longer ribbon cable than the 12" keyboard.

4. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

I will try this when I get home from work. Thanks! The 14 is in pretty good shape overall (hinges are a bit weak, but good other than that - even has a good 4+ hour battery!), so its well worth the replacement. I just wanted to try a known working keyboard before buying a replacement - I paid a grand total of $25 for the 14" and $20 for the 12". :D

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Good deal!

6. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

12in ibook keyboard in 14incher

Hey I was wondering the same thing regarding if a keyboard from a 12 inch ibook would fit a 14 inch one as Recently I picked up a 14 inch ibook from eBay (was listed as a 12 inch one but the pic was of a 14in one and when i received the unit it was the same one as the pic so i'm not complaining :cool: ) and apart from a Dead hard drive and (i think) a dieing optical drive the only other thing wrong with it is the key board (MN and space bar keys don't work) and while looking on eBay for a new one I noticed the 14in ones are far and few and cost a lot more then the 12 inch keyboards so if you or some one could test or tell me wether or not a 12 inch keyboard fits a 14 inch ibook I will be very thankfull also I have an optical drive from a mid 2007 macbook pro and a 2006 iMac do eny of those fit a 14 inch ibook I know there all IDE but I heard that the conector is in a difrant place? once again thanks :) BTW very nice finds on the ibooks what spec are they? there should be a label under the keyboard with the specs of the computer in the case of my one its the 1.33Ghz combo drive one from late 2004.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 2006 iMac drive will fit in an iBook without a problem. The Macbook drive is too short to properly fit in an iBook.

8. js81, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

I can CONFIRM, 100% for sure, that what Altemose said above is true - the connector (cable) on the 14" is about 1/2" longer than the 12" - the 12" keyboard will NOT work on the 14". :(

That said, here is some more of the story... I received the 12" Friday - it had been advertised as "for parts," but listed as "powers on and functions." Well, the machine I got did neither. Out of the box it had no power at all. I decided to test the keyboard on the 14" (it works, btw, but won't physically fit) and I noticed that the trackpad connector wasn't connected; that got me thinking that if THAT was disconnected, what else might be? Seeing that having to ship it back to get a $20 refund (it'd cost me $10+ to ship it back) just wasn't worth it, I decided to rip it apart and see what else was going on...

Turns out the DC-in board, LCD, and, YEP! - the power button - we're all disconnected. Also, there was no hard drive in it (no loss though; I had a bigger, faster drive I was going to put in anyway). After making these "repairs," it fired right up! So now I have a perfectly working 12" iBook (minus the Airport card - I'm using a USB stick right now, with an AP card on the way).

The specs:
    The 14" is the last one - the 1.42GHz model. It has 1GB of RAM and the stock 60GB 4200rpm(!) hard drive. It's currently running Leopard, though I'm not using it due to the lack of a keyboard...

The 12" is the next to last one - the 1.2GHz model. It has 768MB of RAM and I installed a 60GB 5400rpm hard drive. It, too, is currently running Leopard.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot! Both of them, quite surprisingly, have very good batteries! I get over 3 hours on either of them and both have less than 150 cycles (144 for the 12, 120-something for the 14).

--QUESTION: Should I run Leopard on these or should I go for Tiger?--
    I installed Leopard because that's the disc I found first lol - however, I still feel like it would be faster with Tiger. I've disabled the transparency, the 3D dock, the dock animations, and dashboard (but not spotlight) and its still feels a bit more sluggish than it should be. Thinking of trying Tiger tonight...

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

10. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

I haven't got to use the 1.42 much (due to no keyboard), but the 1.2 is way laggy-ier than I think it should be. Then again, I've not use a PPC Mac in a couple years... maybe my memory isn't as good as it used to be lol. My last was a 15" PB (1GHz, I think?) running Tiger, otherwise stock - it worked great and was plenty fast, except for online video streaming of any sort.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 1.2Ghz iBook may feel that way because of lack of CoreImage and 768MB of ram. CoreImage and more ram do perk them right up as the 1.33Ghz 12" iBook is more responsive feeling.

12. js81, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

I do plan to upgrade the RAM to 1.25GB once I get everything else sorted out. Since Tiger isn't as graphically intense, it should make a difference on the 1.2 right? Right? I bought both because I didn't know which size I'd like (and they were dirt cheap lol) - I LOVE the 12". Makes me wonder if I should just sell 'em both and get a 12" Powerbook. ;)

EDIT: I remembered that checked Activity Monitor last night and did have a little bit of page outs on the iBook... not a tremendous amount (~25MB or so?), but it was something. I never see any on my Mini - of course it has 8GB of RAM lol.