Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newmacmew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2005
For those of you who own iBooks, do you notice any uneven lighting of the LCD? I noticed that for mine, the two bottom corners seem to be a bit lighter than the rest of the screen. Just wondering if any of you have experienced similar.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
My 12'' PowerBook has a similar phenomenon. Fortunately, there is hardly ever gonna be anything color-sensitive in the bottom corners of your screen.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
mad jew said:
That's pretty normal. It's just a small design fault in the iBooks.

You would figure that a few generations down they would have more than enough time to fix it :rolleyes:

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Usually most LCD displays are more lit at the bottom than at the top. There might be exceptions, and the iBook isn't one of them...

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
I didn't notice the difference as much when I calibrated the screen and set the brightness to full.

Still, c'mon Apple! The "best" industrial design could still be better ...

But it does happen on LCDs of all kinds. My cell phone included. Grr!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's really not an Apple issue so much as an LCD issue. Still, you'd think that Apple could find a company that produced a higher quality display...

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
I've got about a 2-3 inch black line running down the right corner. I can still see clearly, it's somewhat faint and makes the area affected a bit darker. Have any of you experienced this? Do you think this is would qualify for a replacement? I've been really disappointed with the build quality of these iBooks. It's only 2 weeks old and I'm noticing minor faults everyday which takes away from enjoying the iBook.

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
I've noticed that when I wake my iBook from sleep, I notice the unevenness more. It seems to settle after I use it for a few minutes.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
mad jew said:
No black line for me Peter Griffin. Post a photo though, maybe you should get a replacement.

It's not really a black line but this faint dark area in the lower right. It starts right AFTER the lighter area of the right corner. I don't know if this is a common defect of LCDs but if anyone can reassure me it'd be great. It's been bugging the hell out of me these past few days since most of the webpages I visit have a white background and it just really stands out like a sore thumb. I'm not sure if this contributes to it but the LCD (ever since I got it) appears to be pushed in on the right side and you can see a small crack of light creeping through if you tilt your head to the right.

EDIT- I've tried to post a picture on here but apparently it's too huge (700 kb I think). I don't know how to reduce the size on my camera but I don't have any editing software. Is there anything that comes standard with Macs that would allow me to reduce the size?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I've got left & right corners a little brighter and along the bottom is a darker area...it's how most of the iBooks are. I checked.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I have the lightness in the bottom corners. It is really
difficult to control the light leakage around the edges of LCDs. If
it is too much for you, exchange it.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
ITASOR said:
I've got left & right corners a little brighter and along the bottom is a darker area...it's how most of the iBooks are. I checked.

Along with the dark area at the bottom I have this heavily concertrated area to the right where it's just extra dark. This is right next to the bright corner.

I was wondering if this is common in iBooks. Surely I don't want to exchange a brand new book for a refurb.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Peter Griffin said:
EDIT- I've tried to post a picture on here but apparently it's too huge (700 kb I think). I don't know how to reduce the size on my camera but I don't have any editing software. Is there anything that comes standard with Macs that would allow me to reduce the size?

You could use iPhoto but I suppose it's easier if you just open it up in Preview and then Save As from the File menu, select JPG as the file type and you'll get a bar from which you can select quality/size. :)

As for the shadows and bright areas, maybe I'm just lucky but I can't make anything major/noticeable out. Or maybe I'm just blind. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.