iBook + Leopard = Not Booting?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by funnylookinhat, Jan 31, 2009.

1. funnylookinhat macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,
    I recently received a friend's iBook (G4 - not sure about other specs) and it isn't booting. The computer just hangs at the Apple logo when I try to boot from the hard drive.

So I decided the easiest way to fix it would be to simply take my retail leopard disc and install it on the machine (they don't need any data recovery). When I hold the option key the Leopard disc shows up fine, but after I select it and click the arrow to continue it just sits at the apple logo with a twirling loading icon. Anyone else had this issue? Any ideas?

Do I need to reset the system profile or something? Sorry I am an old-school mac newbie... my own machine is a MacBook and I'm much more familiar with it than this G4 iBook.

Thanks for the help!
    -David

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I would try two things: 1) run a hardware diagnostic by holding down the D key on startup, and 2) zap the PRAM by holding down command+option+P+R on startup.

3. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

4. animaxcg macrumors regular

hold the "command V" (apple key V)
    this might work

5. funnylookinhat thread starter macrumors newbie

What does Command+V do?

I tried replacing the hard drive... turns out that wasn't the problem.

I'll try running a diagnostic test.

It's a 500 Mhz G3 with 512 RAM.

6. 11800506 macrumors 65816

That machine is unsupported with Leopard because of the G3 processor and 500 Mhz clock speed. FYI it's an iBook G3, not a G4. This may be why you are having issues trying to install Leopard on it. I would try to find a Panther disc or Tiger disc (although Panther would run better) for that machine and you may have more luck.

7. funnylookinhat thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, now I am trying Tiger and I continually get the message "Installation has failed. Please restart and try again."

I've ensured that my discs are good... so I have no idea what the problem could be.

8. 11800506 macrumors 65816

The logic board may be dying? I have no idea. That sounds like an odd issue. Have you tried booting into Target Disk Mode from your Macbook?

9. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Might wanna check the RAM. Got a spare DIMM lying around that you can swap in?