Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLoveCheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
I thinking of buying an iBook - my first Mac. How long can I expect it to live? How long did your iBook live? :confused:

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
iLoveCheese said:
I thinking of buying an iBook - my first Mac. How long can I expect it to live? How long did your iBook live? :confused:

There are tons of people still using the clamshells, and those are roughly 5-6 years old. Maybe more.

I just sold a 2003 iBook and it was in great condition.

Many are still using the 2001 icebooks, and theyre chugging along.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I have an iBook G3 that was purchase in July 2001. Using it mainly for the internet and folding.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I have a three year old iBook and while it is now my backup computer since I invested in a Powerbook last year, it is still running well and I have Tiger and everything on it, and it runs pretty good. :)

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
iLoveCheese said:

I bought a Rev A iBook G4 1 GHz 14" back in 2003 I kept it for maybe a year and then gave it to my sister, she loves it and intends keeping it for years. OS X seems to get faster with every new release too so putting Tiger on the iBook gave it a new lease of life as well.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
I've had my iBook G4 since their launch in late 2003. Still runnin' just fine and good for most tasks. Get a powerbook if you can afford it, the extra features and kick ass design are well worth the extra $$$.

iBook's still a great laptop, although definitely lacking some really basic laptop features most 500-700 PCs have these days (built in card-readers, Laptop card slots, extra audio ports, etc.)

I'm really looking forward to the day Apple does some keyboard re-designing to include Expose, Dashboard and iTunes buttons...that would rock the house.

macorama

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
How long can I expect it to live?

How are you going to treat it? It you work it hard, travelling lots, then it will fall apart a lot sooner than if it's on a desk most of the time.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
JDOG_ said:
I'm really looking forward to the day Apple does some keyboard re-designing to include Expose, Dashboard and iTunes buttons...that would rock the house.
What's wrong with F9, F10 and F11 for Exposé and F12 (or F8 which I've moved it to, because F12 also is the eject button) for Dashboard? :confused:

(I actually have F7 free for future use... ;))

jenmc

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2005
My 12" iBook G3 will be four years old in a couple of weeks. It's been great!
The only wear and tear is where the most frequently used letters on the keyboard have worn away.

I'm running Panther, but the iBooks now come with Tiger.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
macorama said:
How are you going to treat it? It you work it hard, travelling lots, then it will fall apart a lot sooner than if it's on a desk most of the time.

It is quite true, that if well taken care of it will last longer. Mine has just been siting on a desk at least 98% of its life.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
wdlove said:
It is quite true, that if well taken care of it will last longer. Mine has just been siting on a desk at least 98% of its life.
speaking of taking care of things... I am an idiot.

I was exploring the bottom of my 1 day old PB and removed the battery only to find it doesn't slide like my other laptop, but falls... right onto the floor. I bunged up the inside corner and had to bend it back (gently) with pliers. I feel rediculously stupid about that one.

Just FYI.

mellow2bits

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
Netherlands
lifespan: RAM and HD and battery life

I find that the factor limiting the lifespan of my iBook the most is the amount of RAM and the size of the harddisk (I tend to use more and more memory intensive applications. Photo's, MP3 and the occasional film fill up my HD pretty fast). I still use my 2001 dual USB ibook (G3 600 MHZ).

iBooks have had some problems in the past, though:
- some had problems with the screen/hinges - they would experience horizontal lines and flickering, or complete black-outs
- i believe there has been a batch with bad motrherboards, but am not sure
- recently, apple had to recall iBook batteries check out: http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/05/20050520094651.shtml )

There may have been more manufacturing problems in the past I am not aware of. All models/revisions have their rotten Apples (pun intended), but I think over the past years the iBook has built a fairly solid reputation.

Another limiting factor is battery-life: after a couple of years your li-ion battery will die on you. that doesn't mean your iBook is useless, you just need to buy a new battery (pretty pricey), or keep hooked up to a power outlet... (see: http://www.apple.com/batteries )

All in all the life span of an iBook mostly depends on how you use is (don't drop is) and what you use it for (are you a heavy user of the latest version of Photoshop? or will you still be using Office2004 in a couple of years?).

Anyways, my guesstimate is that an average user will be pleased with his/her iBook for at least 3 - 4 years.

johnny1290

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2004
my iBook

I have a 500 mhz dual usb iBook, it's almost 4 years old now, and the only reason I'm going to replace it (with a cheap $500 pc-laptop) is because the screen flickers now depending on how flat you keep the base...I think the video cable has finally gotten a short in it due to flexing/age....my keyboard is pretty well shot, some keys came off(may be my fault for taking them off to clean the keyboard, never was the same again) and some letters have worn off the keys...the power supplies, I've gone through 3 of them, they always wear out at the plug...and speaking of which the socket where you plug in the power supply is hinky now, when you move the plug the charging light flickers...I'm sure this is due to me tripping on the cord or something.

Repairs? None. Always worked flawlessly. I'm sure if I'd been easier on this machine it would be in much better shape, but i use it many hours a day and really pound on the keyboard and have taken it on vacation, to work, etc many many times. I shoulda been kinder to it and always moved it with two hands. That flex is what messed up my old 266 Wallstreet as well. Still no dead pixels.

I'm getting a PC cuz its cheap and all i can afford, and i dont wanna spend 900 bucks on an iBook with an old g4 in it, i'll wait for the new intel chips. Goodluck to all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.