iBook Lockups

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Macmadant, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Hey,
    recently my ibook keeps randomly locking up, it first started the other day when it got stuck on a blue screen at start-up eventually it came on, but kept locking up, no spinning beech ball just completely froze, i held down the power button to turn it off, i then had to wait at least ten minutes before trying to start up again, if i didn't it would get stuck on the blue screen, then something else weird happened, when i started up it came up with the mac set-up assistant similar to when you first upgrade, so i turned it off again and it went away, so i started up again this time i noticed that spotlight was indexing, despite it already doing that ages ago when i upgraded to leopard, so i thought this had something to do with it, because it kept freezing in the process, but today i turned it on, let it index and to my surprise it didn't lock up, so i went to play world of warcraft, and as soon as the login screen came up it locked up again, i thought that it might be the graphics chip, but the AHT says the GPU is ok, any ideas ?
    BTW i am using leopard, it just randomly started, i upgraded to 10.5.1 hoping it would resolve the issue, but it didn't
    the specs of the machine are
    1.2 GHz G4
    Radeon 9200 32 MB
    1GB RAM
    :confused:

2. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, it's definitely a graphics issue, any time i use a game that has graphical effects, such as WoW or big bang board games, it instantly freezes up, and it's not a leopard issue because i've have leopard around a month and a half and it's been fine up till now, but the apple hardware test tells me the GPU has passed the test, so whats up ?