Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotsammysliz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
hello all

I have a 1.33gh 14" ibook that Im selling so Im trying to reinstall leopard. so I put in the disk load it up everything is fine until it actually starts installing.. it gets about 10-20% and the says Install failed could not validate "Essentials" package. then I tried again and let it check the disc prior to installing and it tells me to clean disk from scatches and dust. i noticed there were a couple small scratches on the disk so i got another install disk but when i try to put it in, the ibook just spits it back out after a few seconds and i cannot load the installer with the new disk

can someone please help me

thank you

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
I just had that same problem trying to install Leopard on a G5 iMac this last weekend. I took the iMac & the Leopard disk/package to my local Apple Store Genius Bar & they replaced the disk. It may have been the optical drive after all, though. The iMac just "spit out" the new disk but Leopard installed just fine using an external FireWire DVD drive.

oneEG6

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
I had the same issue and it turned out to be same aftermarket kingston memory causing the issue. I removed it, installed and reinstalled the memory with no issues.

hotsammysliz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
thanks for the reply everyone... ill try to see what i can do and let you know.

thanks again for the reply people

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.