iBook on life support...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by akidd, Jul 16, 2008.

1. akidd macrumors regular

To cut an ongoing ebay story short, an iBook G4 often doesn't boot, when it does sometimes the screen freezes and is all lines and when it doesn't and loads, it usually manages to die with no notice after a few minutes (when plugged in). I have got it work for about 30 minutes and the software (Word for example) worked OK.

I know its probably not worth trying to fix it, but I just wondered if it sounded like something that could be fixed without a huge cost... or not.

Thanks in advance.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let it die. I don't think it'll be worth fixing. It sounds like you've got a few hardware problems.

3. mr.light macrumors 6502

Pull the plug and let it go with dignity! :(

Seriously though, I love my iBook G4 and it works great, but, when it dies I don't think I'll waste time fixing it. It just wouldn't be worth it. Yours seems so much more worse off so it's not likely worth it either.

4. akidd thread starter macrumors regular

I thought that, just wondered if anyone had any idea what the hardware problem/s was/were. I'm trying to get £ back or fix the bugger.

A

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Don't know if it is the problem with your machine, but a number of iBook G4 users have reported issues with one of the chips on the logic board coming loose or breaking its solder connections. The homebrew fixes are to apply pressure to the chip

http://www.coreyarnold.org/ibook/

or to resolder the pin

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/iBookG4_vreg_repair/ibookG4_vreg_repair.html

Other people have reported success by heating the chip up with a heat gun just to the point where the solder starts to melt. This is a high risk fix though, as if it is done incorrectly it can fry other components.

6. akidd thread starter macrumors regular

My ebay one might (thankfully not this one) may have that. I'll suggest it to the shop if they can come down hugely on the 'we'll have a look at it[' price. Thanks for the hardware idea.

A