iBook on the iPod Touch????

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Corbin052198, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Corbin052198 macrumors 6502

Corbin052198

I thought I heard Steve Jobs say that the iBooks app for iPad is now available on iPhone and iPod Touch. But when I searched the app store with my 1G iPod Touch, I saw nothing.

Is my iPod too old? Does it require iOS 4.0? Can anyone correct or help me?

2. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

your ipod is too old. it requires 4.0. the 1g gets no update, 2g get a partial update, 3g gets the full update.

3. Corbin052198 thread starter macrumors 6502

Corbin052198

When he upgrades to the iPhone 4, he might give me his old iPhone 3G, would iBooks work on that device if it had the partial update?

4. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

As far as I can tell, there has not been a definitive list of every feature that will or will not be made available in iOS 4 on the various older devices.

For example, we know for sure that multitasking and modifiable background images are not available for the iPhone 3G. But the way the announcements have been worded so far, it's let open the possibility that there may be other features left out on older hardware, but they just haven't been announced yet.

A beta tester might be able to answer your question, but they'd be violating their NDA if they did so.

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I'm not a developer so I don't have any NDA to go against, but I have the 4.0 release candidate on both my 2nd gen touch and my iPhone 3GS and, weirdly, neither of them show the iBooks app - yet have all the other announced features.

As a side note, only thing that seems to be missing from the 2nd gen touch is multitasking and the background, as mentioned. Everything else is there (except iBooks of course, for some reason). I'm guessing it will be the same for the iPhone 3G too.

6. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Maybe iBooks will be distributed as a free App that you have to download separately from the OS, and Apple just hasn't gotten around to releasing the iPhone version to the App Store yet.

7. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

i have 4.0 on a 3rd gen ipod touch and it doesn't have ibooks either. just like the ipad it will have to be downloaded from the store when they release it

8. Corbin052198 thread starter macrumors 6502

Corbin052198

Thanks!

I suppose so.

Thanks for clarifying the feature list on a 2nd gen. iDevice.

That's just what I was thinking. I checked it by searching ibooks in iTunes, and when the app came up, it still said iPad-only. :confused:

I guess Apple has yet to release the iPhone and iPod touch versions. Probably whenever iOS 4 comes out they will.

Thanks everyone for your replies! :cool:;)

9. celticpride678

Yeah, most likely iBooks will be an app in the App Store, because Apple thinks many people won't need it preinstalled.

Also, I have not had a chance to try it yet, but I think that the only features that won't be available on the iPod touch 2nd Gen/iPhone 3G are:

1. Background images on the home screen
    2. Multitasking
    3. Bluetooth keyboard support

Also, the update doesn't add the percentage of the battery left, but that is expected

10. jasonchou520 macrumors newbie

of course it's too old, ios4 trully supports itouch3g and later products.

11. Corbin052198 thread starter macrumors 6502

Corbin052198

I never really cared for that feature when it was released on the 3GS. There's an App for that :D:p

12. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

The iBooks app for iPhone and Touch isn't available yet...

13. iOS 4 macrumors newbie

iOS 4

iBooks for iPod Touch 2gen on iOS 4 GM

Hi guys,

I have 2g iPod Touch, Apple recently released iTunes 9.2 update for PC, which I installed, and also downloaded iOS 4 GM (Golden Master), installed it on my iPod Touch 2g and the only few things that WORK in it are

1) Folders for apps,
    2) Unified inbox
    3) Create new playlist on iPod Touch itself (it took them 2 fricking years to add such a simple thing)
    4) Game Center (though it looks as if it were in SandBox mode),
    5) Nice glossy glass dock instead of metal

Things that DON'T WORK:

1) Wallpaper (but I couldn't care less for that stupidity)
    2) Multitasking (OK, this isn't available on 1g and 2g iTouches, I know, as Apple said, at least yet, who knows...)
    3) iBOOKS do NOT work on iPod Touch 2g with iOS 4.0 GM installed!!!!

Seriously, Apple, what's up with that?! Currently iTunes tells you that iBooks are only for iPad? WTF? Why the hell aren't you able to sync iBooks app to your iOS 4, even if it were GM??? The reason I'm puzzled is I saw lots of video of iPhone 4 running iOS 4, of course, and having iBooks... Now, for me iBooks is the whole point of having iOS 4... If Apple doesn't fix this with official release of iOS 4, I'll become Apple hater forever... Not only do they force you to buy new product just because they're incompetent or lazy or arrogant to make software update work on older models, but they just don't care about your opinion. Apple, that's not the way to go...

14. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Do you think Apple can just flip a switch and give iBooks only to the right people? Unlike iTunes 9.2 and the iOS 4 GM, both of which were seeded securely through the iPhone developer website, the iBooks app can only be seeded through the App Store, which is neither exclusive nor entirely secure.

15. iOS 4 macrumors newbie

iOS 4

Now look here, Mr. Slippy, which part of "doesn't work and it's suppose to work" don't you understand? Apple released iBooks long time ago, at that first time only for iPad, and promised us the coming of iBooks app to iPods and iPhones with the arrival of iOS 4 — here is iOS3, and no iBooks! Don't think you've really made a point, 'cause iTunes 9.2 is officially released for PC as well, GM is also released to the developers some week ago, and you can find and download iBooks app either through iTunes or through iPods/iPhones, BUT you CAN'T sync it, because it doesn't work on Golden fricking Master, which is supposed to be almost the finish product. There is no instance, channel or storefront that can't be found a way to work around, and seeding to developers is far less secure than managing your own app store.

Anyway, my point is: why can't iBooks run on iPod Touch/iPhone (2g), that has been updated to iOS 4.0 GM, through iTunes 9.2, only version yet to support iOS4 update, even though Apple announced that it will be coming to 2g iPod Touch? And is there someone that has done the same thing, so that he/she could share his/her experience with us...?

I'm guessing and hoping that we'll see a difference when Apple releases the official iOS 4...

16. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

It can't run because it's not out yet. It does work and is supposed to work on the iPad, which is what it was released for. iTunes 9.2 is out, and you can sync as many iBooks as you please, but the app isn't here until the OS is here. We were promised the app for iOS 4, and I've got news for you buddy, iOS 4 isn't here yet! The Grand Master isn't the final product, it's almost the final product. "Almost" does not mean completely. The OS is *almost* finished.

17. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

And also, iOS 4 for the 1G Touch basically adds not a damn thing. Upgrade dude. A lot of 1G Touches are slowly dying now.

18. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Anyway, hopefully you will understand this and if not, then you will come Monday the 21st.

iBooks is not in the "Golden Master" release. iBooks is not a part of ANY OS release. iBooks is an APPLICATION and it will be released as an APPLICATION with the OFFICIAL release of iOS4 on Monday 21st of June. You will be able to go to the iTunes store on Monday the 21st and download/install the iBooks App for Free!

I know it is really hard, but have a little patience and maybe find a book on how to be courteous and social instead of arrogant and demanding, read it over the weekend so that on Monday when the App is released, you can come back here and apologize to all of those you were so rude and offensive to.

I really hope you can survive a few days...Good Luck:)

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

To further clarify, the iBooks app currently in the app store is iPad only, but an iPhone/touch version that works with ios4 will be released Monday.

20. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

At least iOS 3 is half decent, and the 1G touch is a decent piece of hardware.

It's not a brick yet, but they're taking it off life support.

21. ColinM macrumors member

People who are registered developers I believe have been sent the iBooks app when they visit the app store on their device. I think their Apple ID has to be registered with the developers site, or is the one used their, and that's how they're being sent out.

I have iOS4 GM running on my recently purchased iPod Touch 32 GB, and have not received it yet. I'm guessing that it will come to all who upgrade to iOS4 on June 21st.

22. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

I also have iOS 4.0 GM and I am not a developer but I received the notification to download iBooks. It starts downloading but right when it finishes it says there is an error and it will be downloaded the next time you connect to iTunes. when you connect to iTunes it downloads the iPad version of iBooks so the only thing keeping people from having iBooks on their iPod touch/iPhone is an update from Apple making it an universal application.