Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big_myers01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Small Town
Ok guys, here's my dilemma, I'm looking into buying a laptop. I'm a high school student and use my comptuer quite a bit. I am going to be traveling quite a bit this summer and plan to take a computer with me so as to kepe in touch iwth those people back home. I need to know whether to choose the iBook (12") or the Powerbook (12")! Any comments on either side would be infinitely helpful!

Thanx guys!

Eric

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Get an iBook. It sounds like you're only gonna use it for casual stuff (web browsing, e-mail, word processing). If you want to play the latest and greatest games (a powerbook might not even work but you'd be better off) or if you want to edit video every other day then get a powerbook. I have a 12" iBook G4 and have edited video on it on occassion with much success and never wishing it was faster (of course faster wouldn't bother me either).... I play Warcraft III on my iBook just fine too...

Buuuuuuuuuut.... think long term too. You'll probably have the 'book for 3 or 4 years minimum.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
The iBook is a great machine. I hope to get one soon myself. 800mhz should be enough for most of your computing needs, unless you do processor-intensive tasks often, in which case you'd want the additional power.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
ibook, infact G3 iBook if you are only using it for internet, email, looking at photos, etc. etc.

$699 for an 800mhz G3 iBook at cdw.com or macmall.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.