iBook + Panther does not recognize keyboard?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by nampramos, Oct 15, 2013.

1. nampramos macrumors 6502

Hey guys!

I have here a friends iBook, 500Mhz I think, that wasn't connecting to the internet over ethernet (has no AirPort). So I went on with a clean install of Panther which went all good until it came to the part of setting up the .Mac account and selecting the language and then the keyboard.

Once I had to select the keyboard, I simply cannot select any. The "Next" button doesn't work, no matter what keyboard I select...

Anyone might know what the problem is?

Thanks!

2. RedCroissant Suspended

Hello,

First of all, you need to be certain which iBook revision it is for anyone to be sure. If it is a 500MHz, then it is a G3 iBook and there should be no reason why the keyboard isn't recognized. If it's a G4 by chance and you installed panther, then that would explain why the keyboard isn't recognized since an iBook G4 would require a Tiger installation.

Ethernet and Airport are two different ways of connecting to the internet and the iBook G3 does have a 10/100 Base-T ethernet connection; so it should be connecting fine.

3. tampasteve macrumors 6502

I read the OP as "the iBook was not connecting over ethernet and there is no Airport card installed." Which is why the OP is reinstalling Panther.

OP:
    It should be fairly easy to tell what model you have (between the G3 and G4 anyway), IIRC the G4 says "iBook G4" just under the screen and the G3 just says "iBook".

Did you do any troubleshooting for the ethernet other than just plugging in? Was the iBook doing anything else that it should not have been? Are you using retail versions of 10.3 or the grey disks?

4. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

My first ever Apple computer, a 12" G4 iBook, which I still have as a backup system, originally came with OS X 10.3.5 Panther on 4 CD's, still have them too.

5. RedCroissant, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

RedCroissant Suspended

Now I read it that way as well and that makes more sense.

Good point. I was going from my experience with a mid-2005 iBook G4 that let me install 10.4.1 on it, but the keyboard and mouse were not recognized. Luckily, I was able to use bluetooth accessories to finish the setup and then the update.