iBook/Power Mac interface?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by casilemental, Jul 25, 2008.

1. casilemental macrumors newbie

Okay, so this may be a really simple operation, but I'm not sure what to do. I recently acquired a Power Mac G4, and own an iBook G4. Is there a way to interface the two so that I can use the capabilities of both of them at once??
    Any tips would be welcome.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

No. Most especially because you have an iBook which is a consumer system and can't have any major upgrades (like a PC card) that you would need for that.

TEG

3. casilemental thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't understand. What do you mean my "consumer system" and how does that effect any possible interfacing capabilities?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You have a computer that has no expansion capabilities, which means you can't add the necessary hardware to even try to do something like that. It probably won't work anyway. You would spend several times the cost of a new system to be able to interface them.

Or do you just want to use a single keyboard, mouse, and screen with both systems, and networking them together.

TEG

5. casilemental thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, yeah, that's exactly what I want to do. Do I just need a firewire or something?

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Use an ethernet cable to connect the two computers together (or use Firewire) then use a KVM to allow you to switch between the two systems, or you can purchase Apple Remote Desktop to control one computer from the other. The way you worded the first post, it sounded like you wanted to share the processing power of the two systems.

TEG

7. casilemental thread starter macrumors newbie

So, what kind of capabilities would that allow me? Would at allow me to use the same monitor, for instance? Or use one hard drive as the primary, and other as a secondary? Or, in other words, what would be the advantages of doing that?

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Using a KVM allows you use a single keyboard, video output (screen), and mouse on both machines. Using Remote Desktop allows you to tap into the power of the PowerMac from the iBook Remotely.

TEG

9. casilemental thread starter macrumors newbie

Where can I get a good KMV and how much are they?
    And how does a KMV work? (What connections does it have?)
    Also, if I purchased Apple Remote Desktop, would I just connect them with and ethernet/firewire?

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Nearly every Computer store sells KVMs. Some are advanced, allowing for the sharing of printers and speakers, others just have VGA of DVI) and USB (or PS/2) to facilitate the communications. Some have a button you push on the box or a switch to control which source to use, others use a keyboard combination to make the switch.

Belkin is the only brand name I can think of for KVMs, but I know others make them.

Apple Remote Desktop will work over any network connection, and even from anywhere in the world, over the internet, if configured correctly. So you could connect via WiFi, Ethernet, or (IP over)Firewire.

TEG