ibook price

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by acarty, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. acarty macrumors newbie

    Dec 2, 2004
    Switching over to an ibook from a PC. Is there any point to wait for a price drop? If new powerbooks come out will the ibooks price drop? And is that happening anytime soon?

  2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

    Artful Dodger

    May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    I plan to buy the 14" iBook this weekend so no I don't plan to wait for a price drop which may or may not happen in Jan/Feb (maybe?)
    I feel if you need it or could really use it now then buy one :D
    Now if it was an iMac then I would wait (I am till Feb/March) to buy a 20" iMac.
  3. acarty thread starter macrumors newbie

    Dec 2, 2004
    i was thinking about the 14" ibook too. One more thing, what are these price drops usually anyway? if it's a $100 price drop in 3 months.... not a ton of value there.
  4. wordmunger macrumors 603


    Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    It's pretty rare to see a Mac price drop. Much more common is to bump up the specs and keep the same price point. In fact, the price drop with the most recent iBook release was quite unexpected (and welcome)!

    I expect the low-end iBook to stay relatively close to $1000 for the foreseeable future. Remember, the original iBook was, what $1199?
  5. powerboy macrumors regular

    Mar 15, 2004
    Amazon currently has rebates on ibooks ($100 - $150). You can save $30 if you sign up for an amazon visa and another 1.5% if you do an A9 search before adding the ibook to your cart. Plus no tax and free shipping. I got my 12" ibook for just over $800 after rebate. Not a bad deal.
  6. keysersoze macrumors 68000


    Jan 6, 2004
    I just got an email from MacMall saying they dropped their prices. Looks like the entry level is $899. I bet you could get a refurb from the apple site for cheaper... not sure though.

    anyway, macmall link is here:

    EDIT: looks like the entry level is only 1GHz. probably old stock.
  7. acarty thread starter macrumors newbie

    Dec 2, 2004
  8. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816


    Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    I'd wait until January 10 or so, that's when you're going to see the stuff from MacWorld. They do a lot of late winter/early spring releases too... Feb/March.
  9. panda macrumors regular

    Mar 15, 2004

    genrally the prices oni the ibook have fallen every time there was a new ibook release. in jan we will likely see a new pbook upgrade, but no ibook upgrade. i would not expect for there to be another upgrade till mid 2005 and the specs will not change much then.

    the ibook was upgraded end october and the price went down about 100usd i think and airport was also included (!). the ibooks are wonderful value for money. i see no reason at all to wait to buy.

    my preference is the 12" for portability and a very sharp screen due to the small pixel size.

    you will love it. :)
  10. panda macrumors regular

    Mar 15, 2004
    pricing (more)

    specifically answering your original question... a pbook upgrade does not result in an ibook price reduction. an ibook price reduction (should there be one) will not likely occur until there is a new ibook upgrade. (probably mid year 2005) :)
  11. acarty thread starter macrumors newbie

    Dec 2, 2004
    okay, no ibook price drop until a new ibook means it is time to get one.... thanks.
  12. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    Be sure to let us know what you end up purchasing. Still have a G3 ibook from 2002 that is in good working order.

Share This Page