iBook reliability?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by nhcowboy1, Mar 28, 2008.

1. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

I have the opportunity to purchase a 14" 1.42 mhz iBook with 1.5 gb ram, two-finger scrolling, etc., etc. I am apprehensive only because it has never had any major repairs, and the original owner neglected to get Applecare for it.

We presently have two iBooks from the prior revision (14" 1.33 mhz) that have both needed logic board replacements. They now, of course, both perform splendidly! :)

I am just concerned about trading a known-to-be-good iBook with a new logic board for a newer (and faster) iBook with the original logic board. (It won't be a trade, exactly, but if I get the new one, I'll have to sell off one of the others.)

It may just be the luck of the draw that the two iBooks we already own have needed new logic boards . . . . or it may be a predictable failure with the 1.33 ghz that I don't need to worry about with the 1.42 . . . . or it may be a predictable failure with any iBook.

I know no one on this forum is clairvoyant (as evidenced by our uniform lack of success in predicting iMac and Mac Mini revisions! :D). I'm just wondering if anyone has more knowledge than I do about the history of these two iBook revisions . . . .

Thanks!

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

if it aint broke yet, I doubt it will in the future. knock on aluminum. :D

ive got a 6yr old ibook and its never done nuffin wrong to me!

3. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wouldn't that be "knock on plastic"? :D

Glad to hear of your good experience!

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I wouldn't. Just because it hasn't shown any signs of failure yet doesn't mean it won't in the future.

I'd keep your current iBook(s), but that's just IMO...

5. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

If the price is right? Go for it! iBooks are just plain nicer (IMNSHO)

6. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

You recommend an iBook over a Macbook.........?

7. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, there's a price advantage, if nothing else. (And, frankly, although I probably could afford it, I don't want a laptop that's worth more than my car! :p)

I didn't try a Macbook. I tried out two different types of PowerBook (aluminum and titanium) and ended up with an iBook because it just worked far better for what I needed it for.

My 12-year old - who was able to pay for his iBook himself - is happy with it because it's the same as what they have in school!

I'll keep my intel at home - but I'm quite happy carrying my G4 wherever I think I'm going to need it. :)

8. applehead64 macrumors newbie

applehead64

Don't get an ibook if your unsure of its reliability. Buy a macbook and all your troubles will disappear

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I feel that all iBooks are susceptible to the video corruption problems. As far as I know, Apple never made any revisions to the main logic board.

10. iBookG4 FTW macrumors member

iBookG4 FTW

The iBooks in general were just a very poorly designed computer. (except for the clamshells...gotta love those things) However, you should know that the last revision of the iBooks (12" 1.33 GHz and 14" 1.42 GHz) were much less prone to the problems of any of the previous iBook's, so if you're going to get one, I suggust it be one of those two,

11. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, that's the kind of info I was hoping to get - thank you! :)