iBook, replacing hard drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by squamtch, May 16, 2009.

1. squamtch macrumors newbie

I have a white iBook G4, 12-inch mid-2005. I already know that the hard drive needs replacing, and we're going to do it ourselves (don't worry, a friend has plenty experience and all tools needed, so this is not a thread about that).

I know this is a pretty beginner question. The drive being replaced is a Fujitsu 40GB 2.5" ATA-6, 4200 RPM 2MB Cache.

I want to replace it with a Seagate. NewEgg has the Seagate Momentus 5400 80GB 2.5" ATA-6, 5400 RPM 80GB 8MB Cache.

The idea of doubling the drive space and tripling the cache is attractive of course. The Seagate has the ATA/100 interface according to specs, so that's compatible (I guess ATA-6 is some form of ATA/100).

But will there be any issues in the speed difference (1200 more rpm), or is that just another plus?

Second: is putting an SATA format drive in there out of the question? Everyone talks about their speeds being great, but I bet this is too new and hot a technology for ye olde iBook.

Thank you,
    The Squamtch

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Just another plus.

Yes. It's like expecting a FireWire device to plug into a USB port. ATA and SATA use completely different connectors.

(By the way, 2 MB to 8 MB is a fourfold increase. ;) )