Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I've been trying to help a friend fix her iBook, and I can't seem to figure out what the solution to this problem is. After the latest Airport update on her iBook G4, (running 10.3.9) she hasn't been able to go to any secure sites. She can't log into her bank account or even check Gmail. Software Update apparently won't let her download any updates either. She's connecting wirelessly through wireless provided by her building, so she can't directly plug in to a modem and see if that solves anything.

Has anyone had similar problems, or have any ideas on what steps she could take to fix this issue?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Is this with all browsers? Was the system update the only thing changed? Does her building's wireless network require any strange proxy settings? :)

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
mad jew said:
Is this with all browsers? Was the system update the only thing changed? Does her building's wireless network require any strange proxy settings? :)

Well, she's only tried this with Safari, though I'll tell her to try it on Firefox and see what happens. According to her, the update was the only thing that changed. And I don't believe their network needs any special proxy settings, since her roommate is able to get online just fine with her Macbook running Tiger.

Sorry I don't have more info, but I'm trying to help her over the phone, and it's kinda tricky when you can't see things in person.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, it's not easy over the phone. See how Firefox or Camino goes (if possible) because they bypasses many of the system's default network settings, creating their own. The fact Software Updater can't access the web either is a bit of a worry. Also, get her to create a new Location in the Network pane of System Preferences. She'll need to reconfigure some of it (put her password for the network in) but it'll give her back the default settings. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.