Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
I'm looking at second hand iBooks and have a choice of two iBooks to buy.

Here are my Options:

iBook clamshell
366/466mhz G3
64Mb RAM+whatever
60Gb HDD (I'll upgrade)

12" iBook G3
800mhz G3
320Mb RAM
60Gb HDD (I'll upgrade)

I know it looks clear cut at who the winner is looking at the specs but I really don't know because I really prefer the looks of the clamshell. It just grips me but dunno if I should go for specs over looks. I've lusted over clamshells since the beginning of time and here is my chance.

I will not be doing any heavy tasks, probably just word processing and music.

Any other opinions?

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
I'm looking at second hand iBooks and have a choice of two iBooks to buy.

Here are my Options:

iBook clamshell
366/466mhz G3
64Mb RAM+whatever
60Gb HDD (I'll upgrade)

12" iBook G3
800mhz G3
320Mb RAM
60Gb HDD (I'll upgrade)

I know it looks clear cut at who the winner is looking at the specs but I really don't know because I really prefer the looks of the clamshell. It just grips me but dunno if I should go for specs over looks. I've lusted over clamshells since the beginning of time and here is my chance.

I will not be doing any heavy tasks, probably just word processing and music.

Any other opinions?

I always thought those old ibook clamshells looked a bit "feminine" if you know what I mean.....

Just get what you can afford. Screw looks ;) It's going to be slow either way with those two choices.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
Airforce said:
I always thought those old ibook clamshells looked a bit "feminine" if you know what I mean.....

Just get what you can afford. Screw looks ;) It's going to be slow either way with those two choices.

Are you calling me gay! Clamshells are awesome, don't judge me :D

But yeah, it will be slooooow.

da2005pizimp

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
I'd say go with the clamshell those things are tanks and you can take it anywhere and not worry about it breaking. I have just owned a ton of clamshells and a handful of dual usbs and found that the clamshells are just more versitile. And no i don't think they are for chicks.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
da2005pizimp said:
I'd say go with the clamshell those things are tanks and you can take it anywhere and not worry about it breaking. I have just owned a ton of clamshells and a handful of dual usbs and found that the clamshells are just more versitile. And no i don't think they are for chicks.

Yeah, thats great coming from the guy who's going to sell me the clamshell :p I don't really have the extra money for the other one anyways.

Clamshells FTW

EDIT: Woot, I just found 256 Mb PC 133 RAM in my mom's old computer, now I'll have an uber fast clamshell!

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I can't speak for the clamshell (Which I suggest you get anyway if you don't really care about power) but an Ice iBook G3 with those specs would do you pretty well as a main computer. Mine only has 256MB of RAM and a 30 GB HDD, but I've been able to install and play Halo fairly well on it.

But then you might run into logic board problem's, etc, so the clamshell is a good choice for you. (Plus it is cute. :))

But I can honestly say, if mine didn't have those darned logic board problems, I would use it more then my mini.

Sorry, rant/praise/advice over.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
Cassie said:
But then you might run into logic board problem's, etc, so the clamshell is a good choice for you. (Plus it is cute. :))

Yeah, it would definitely replace my iMac after its logic board dies (due to mobility issues of course):
ibook1_large.jpg

*thats the standard iBook logic board G-clamp fix :p

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
I can't speak for the clamshell (Which I suggest you get anyway if you don't really care about power) but an Ice iBook G3 with those specs would do you pretty well as a main computer. Mine only has 256MB of RAM and a 30 GB HDD, but I've been able to install and play Halo fairly well on it.

But I can honestly say, if mine didn't have those darned logic board problems, I would use it more then my mini.

Sorry, rant/praise/advice over.

Hey whoa hey whoa hey! You can install HALO on that iceBook? Not hatin' or anything, it's just that my dual 800MHz G4 with 1GB RAM had HALO and it was barely playable. I'm mad now. :mad:

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Hey whoa hey whoa hey! You can install HALO on that iceBook? Not hatin' or anything, it's just that my dual 800MHz G4 with 1GB RAM had HALO and it was barely playable. I'm mad now. :mad:

You do realize all of this talk is subjective. I wouldn't recommend a G3 ICE as a main computer. But that's just me.

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
I have a 900 Mhz iBook that a friend of mine is letting me borrow. I installed Halo on it just to check it out. Yes, it runs very well. Granted, this iBook was upgraded with over 600 MB ram and has a 60 GB HD. It wasn't like running Halo on a G4 but was totally playable. The main issue was the graphics card -- it couldn't handle vertex shading very well.

da2005pizimp

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
well like i always say if you want to just do web surfing and word processing and itunes then yes a clamshell or dual usb should be just fine, but playing games and hardcore programs should be left to the big dogs (g4 and above)

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
My sister used to have a Blueberry clamshell iBook, I later played with it. 800x600 screen is just a pain.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Yeah, it would definitely replace my iMac after its logic board dies (due to mobility issues of course):
ibook1_large.jpg

*thats the standard iBook logic board G-clamp fix :p

Haha, nice. I had the good 'ol shim on the GPU fix. But now, the inverter board is dead, and it would cost over $300 to fix, so I just bought a Blueberry Clamshell iBook for $160.

FearedBliss

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2007
Haha, I was looking for a iBook to purchase on eBay 2 days ago. All the cheap ones were G3 but I couldn't find working G4s at the price I was aiming for. Then finally yesterday I was fortunate enough to find a Powerbook G4 and I outbitted and guy for $286 dollars. The Powerbook was working and comes with OS9/10/10.1 + more disks and manuals. In total it was $306 dollars. That was just luck though, It was like 1/10000000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=360020036333&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Haha, I was looking for a iBook to purchase on eBay 2 days ago. All the cheap ones were G3 but I couldn't find working G4s at the price I was aiming for. Then finally yesterday I was fortunate enough to find a Powerbook G4 and I outbitted and guy for $286 dollars. The Powerbook was working and comes with OS9/10/10.1 + more disks and manuals. In total it was $306 dollars. That was just luck though, It was like 1/10000000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=360020036333&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

Ha, wow I forgot about the ports on the back and the UFO power adapters. I remember selling those machines back in the day. Nice score! Though I still think it's a weak-@ss machine (just tellin' ya how it is!).

FearedBliss

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2007
Haha, I think there nice since there the last of the G4 line and can run Leopard. I probably am going to leave OS X on it but might go on to Linux on the G4. I use Leopard 10.5.2 on my iMac Aluminum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.