iBook Screen Issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by upsguy27, Dec 3, 2007.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I have an iBook G3 800mHz. Half the time when I turn it on it plays the apple logo with a black screen and then does nothing. The other half of the time it loads up fine and goes into the desktop and I can do normal things, but after a while it does this:
    [​IMG]
    What is wrong?

2. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Now every time I turn it on it just goes black and plays the apple startup sound. Please help!

3. iMan G5 macrumors member

Logic Board failure? Possibly could be that. The display card could be messed up. There are many logic board problems with those iBooks.

4. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

So what should I do?

5. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Also, everything else in the computer works, it's just the screen. If I turn it on and press, for example the volume buttons, it makes the volume adjustment sound.

6. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Yes sir, thats logic board failure. I have in ibook G3700mhz with those exact issues. eventually it would always stay black until i noticed that if squeeze pretty firmly on the left palm wrest just next to the mouse pad it would be fine but when i let go it would get those lines, freeze, or just go black.

What i did was i opened up the back, and stuck a shim between the GPU and the heat shield. That got it to work about 80% of the time, instead of only when i was holding it.

(actually the first time i did it it worked like new for a bout 2 months, then i think everything compressed from being so tightly packed in, and i re did it and now its about 80% work rate)

Search online about Ibook Logic board failure you will see multiple sites with many solutions. I opted to shim, its workable now.

Sorry to hear your bad luck. :(

7. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Thanks! I put a small mounting square in between the video chip and the lower case, and now it works fine! I did strip a screw, though. :(

8. eman macrumors 6502a

If you continue to have problems contact this company whose link is below.
    http://www.superiorreball.com/

They specialize in Ibook repair. They will repair you GPU (big problem on the Ibook).