ibook shut off after re-installing OS, now it won't turn on

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by stolenmirth, Jan 16, 2009.

1. stolenmirth macrumors newbie

I bought an ibook a little while ago because I wanted a small, simple notebook and I love my home iMac. I found one for a good price on eBay and when it arrived everything seemed ok. I wanted to re-install the OS and set everything to my specifications because I was having a little trouble with some of the apps. Anyway, I went through the lengthy re-install and just as it finished counting down the seconds to completion, it shut down. I thought it might be in sleep mode because the little white light was on, so I hit a key and the light went off but nothing happened. Nothing on the screen, no HD noise, nothing. I'm at a loss because I really don't know much at all about hardware or software, which is why I liked the user-friendly Mac so much. The only thing that tells me it's getting power is the little green light at the power connector. I tried a PMU reset (there's no reset button on my model so it was a button combo of shift-ctrl-option-power I think) but that didn't do anything. I'm hoping it's not a logic board issue because I think that's a rather expensive fix if I'm not mistaken. If anyone has any info about what the problem might be or a possible fix, I'd be really grateful.
    Thanks,
    -Jeff

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. stolenmirth thread starter macrumors newbie

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Then unfortunately there is no way this could be a software problem. Why it would would crop up now I'm not sure, but it won't be solved by undoing what you did with the install. It also doesn't sound like an easy fix like a hard drive or memory failure.

Sorry, you're going to have to take it in to the shop. The logic board could well be the issue, I'm afraid.