iBook sound quality?

neoelectronaut

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Southeastern Louisiana
So then, how well does the sound output by the iBook actually sound? Typically Laptops are stuck with horrid little 3cm wide speakers, and turn out sounding really bad and tinny.

I play music all-the-freaking-time on my eMac's speakers...and once I get an iBook it will be the same.

How make-or-break are the iBook speakers?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
They're not exactly the best speakers on a notebook.... I find it okay for listening to music, but it's definitely no audiophile system.

The Powerbooks that have the third speaker under the keyboard might be better.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
One word; headphones!
If you think the iBook suck, you should hear my Pismo's!
Try here if you want some truly special headphones - they won't be bettered at the price range, truly amazing reproduction, and decent Bass!

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
I'm sad because they seem to be even high quality than my PowerBook's. My friend has a G3 iBook and his speakers can go louder than mine. And I think I've heard that the iBook also has a third speaker, but I am not sure.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
My colleage at work has a big ol' 17" HP Notebook... We were both listening to the same online audio content at the same time. I had to turn my sound off cause it sounded so horrible sitting next to his! His volume would go real loud and actually had a little bit of this thing we call bass...

Granted it's huge and a PC!

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
KD7IWP said:
I'm sad because they seem to be even high quality than my PowerBook's. My friend has a G3 iBook and his speakers can go louder than mine. And I think I've heard that the iBook also has a third speaker, but I am not sure.
Speaker placement is messing with your hearing --- Upgrading from a iB to a PB, I thought the same.

However, a closer look shows that the speaker placement of the iB's (above F keys) result in better sound.

PB's have their speakers in the rear (near LCD hinge), so audio sounds a little distant.

That's the conclusion I came up with... ;)

James Philp said:
Phew,
for a second there i thought you was dissin the Grado's!
Nah... Grado's = QUALITY :D

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
hehe, i love that movie... My buddy has a wallstreet G3 running Panther and itunes and I listen to music with it once in a while, im borrowing it from him... i think the speakers are pretty good for listening to music, they dont put out much bass, but I think they are ok ... are the new ibook g3/g4 or powerbook g4 speakers any better? how do the powerbook g4 speakers sound, I seen in a service manual somewhere on the net the powerbook g4 has a 3rd mini subwoofer driver next to the optical drive under the keyboard, Im about to buy a powerbook after I sell my 4-wheeler and my powermac g4.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know, I went from a iBook to a 12" PB, and I like the PB's sound significantly better. The PB is sorta like the iMac G5, it uses the flat surface of the screen to reflect the sound (a little.)

nichos

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
Bottom line:
They're fine for small stuff, voice, etc (like watching StrongBad!) but other than that, total crap. I knew that when I bought it though - and who cares? The only place I can think of that you're going to rock to your laptop is either at home, or maybe in a hotel, at either place if it's so important plug the machine in to ext. speakers:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.