Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spawny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
I bought myself an iBook at the weekend and am loving it but have experienced one problem a number of times. Without warning the iBook's speakers will start to hiss, it is like the noise a tv makes when it is not tuned into a channel. The only way to fix it is to close the iBook and make it go to sleep. I have tried messing around with the balance controls in the sound menu and also tried turning the sound down / muting with no luck.

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Are you positive it's the speakers? I've heard of hard drives and processors hissing, the latter can be fixed temporarily with a NVRAM reset, the former must be repaired/replaced by a technician however it is much rarer.

To see if it's a processor problem, turn the processor performance down in the System Preferences (in the Energy Saver settings) and see if it persists.

If it is indeed a speaker system, resetting core audio may help, but no guarantees. The easiest way to do this is to open then close Garageband.

However, it sounds (so sorry about the pun, please forgive) like it's a problem that Apple may need to hear about - a sound board issue. If none of the above solutions help, or if they are inadequate, I recommend taking it back to where you got it from considering it's merely a few days old. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.