iBook to new MacBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iKennett, Aug 3, 2008.

1. iKennett macrumors 6502

Hi All,

My iBook G4 is starting to look and feel old now, I only using it for itunes and safari at home so upgrading is a difficult step to justify.

Has anyone taken the step from iBook to MacBook and in the same position as me, were you glad of the step or did you not notice any real benefit?

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I was glad that I upgraded when I did, my iBook was nice and all but once I made the upgrade I couldn't believe how clunky and old the iBook suddenly felt.

I say go for it - you won't regret it

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I say you wait for a month.....
    you'll sure have a strong reason to buy by then;)

4. dal20402 macrumors 6502

As web standards evolve, browsing gets more demanding... "running Safari" may become too much for your old iBook in the next couple of years. Even now, you'll notice a huge speed difference when pages are rendering.

Also, it feels nice to have equipment that is not grimy and worn, the way old equipment inevitably gets after a few years of use. I say go for it.

5. iKennett thread starter macrumors 6502

You guys must own some Apple shares :p

I will wait for the next revision and guess make my mind up then.

I do agree with what your saying with Safari, it tends to crash every now and again with certain sites killing it!

I took the other half to see the MacBook Air the other day, she loves its but its the MacBook I really want.

Don't get me wrong the Air is amazing but think the Macbook is better suited!

6. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I wish I owned Apple shares...and you're right - a MacBook would be a better fit for you then the Air - the Air is meant to accompany a main computer - not become it

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

...for virtually everything, you're right.

8. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

I replaced my iBook G3 running 10.4.11 with a new MacBook in May and so far I can't say I've regretted it. You'll notice a lot of improvements too. The new MacBook is apparently going to be released around September, so if you can wait until December - January (giving any faults time to be sorted), it may be of benefit to you, but of course its completely down to personal preference.

9. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I think it can also depend on which iBook you have. If its an older 800MHz-1GHz model, then I would say its time to get a new MacBook. If you've got a later one like a 1.33 or 1.42GHz model, then I would say you're probably gonna be okay for a while. My sister had a 14" 1.33GHz iBook and it was a solid machine for sure.

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Ever consider using FireFox? I actually prefer that over Safari and seemed to be more compatable. I had issues with Safari and eBay. I don't know if they fixed that issue yet though as it's been a few months sinced I used my Mac :(.

11. iKennett thread starter macrumors 6502

I had the 1.33 model and upgraded today to the new macbook. It is shocking the difference between the two, now to sort time machine out!

12. jade macrumors 6502