iBook traveling on Queen Mary 2

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SanJacinto, Mar 15, 2013.

1. SanJacinto macrumors regular

SanJacinto

Last night I saw the Queen Mary 2 documentary produced by Channel 7.
    You can watch it on youtube in 720p quality.

I love ships and I also love legacy Macintoshs.
    I think I just share something with you.

The documentary is from 2009 but I guess this piece of PPC Mac Hardware is still crossing the Atlantic. At around minute 32 you can see an iBook, I guess it's from 2005.

Great to see that this iBook is still useful and also can travel around the world.

Attached Files:

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Speaking of legacies. You may not know it, but one of the whistles on board the QM2 is on loan from the City of Long Beach, California. It comes from the Queen Mary and the manufacturer who made it was also the same one that reconfigured it to work with electric instead of steam. You can tell it's the original Queen Mary whistle because that whistle was built during the age where the lower the whistle the bigger the ship - unlike today.

The Queen Mary and Queen Mary 2 met in Long Beach Harbor a few years ago and saluted each other (the Queen Mary with her last remaining whistle). In a sense, the Queen Mary was saluting herself.

Bit of trivia, but you may like it.

3. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Plenty of uses for legacy macs. It's a pleasure and a relief to go back to my iBook for some writing. Armed with appleworks and 20GB of music in iTunes, away from the social media and easily connected devices of today!

4. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I saw a lady using a imac g4 in a commercial for cars

5. SanJacinto thread starter macrumors regular

SanJacinto

Thank you for this information. I surfed a little bit on Youtube and found some videos of QM2 and QM in Long Beach around 2006.

You were there at Long Beach?

I think these ships have character compared to giants like Oasis of the Seas. I know that QV and QE are cruising ships as well and that Cunard is anxious to differentiate between an oceanliner and a cruising ship, but I get the feeling that also cruising ships of Cunard do have more "style" than partyships like Oasis of the Seas and comparative - despite the size.

6. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Since I got into macs I have noticed in almost every T.V show that the people on them are using apple products I notice countless macbooks and have even seen quite a few Ibooks on MTV shows.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No, I wasn't there unfortunately. I moved to Arizona in 2000, but I did live in Southern California for 20 years. My wife and I spent a night of our honeymoon on the Queen Mary and over the course of my years in SoCal I've been to the QM several times.

I have a fascination with the history (legacy) of machines. Cars, boats, ships, planes, Macs, etc. So I'm always trying to lookup history. Humans (myself included) like to attach history and nostalgia to things. Hence, the QM2 carries the whistle of the QM.

The QM came from an age before cruising became commercialized and all about entertainment, food and milking the customer. Those cruise liners were built for transporting people in luxury and comfort not for packing as many people in to one area to maximize cost. Form follows function and that's why the old ships have way more character, in my opinion.

----------

Tha AlBooks are dominant in just about any stock art you find being used in ads (print, web or TV).