iBook Upgrade Questions

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by butchseaman, Feb 4, 2009.

1. butchseaman macrumors member

butchseaman

I have an iBook G3 500MHz PowerPC 750 w/ 128MB.
    Mac OS X 10.3.9 Darwin 7.9.0

I have ordered a 512 from OWC hoping this will help the performace a bit.

My question is what do you think the best OS to upgrade too. I have a copy of Lepard already but not sure this will run very well on this machine.

Thanks

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well, Leopard is out as it will only work on G4, G5 or Intel processors first off, diregarding the fact that it only works on those machines at 867Mhz and up.

It will run up to 10.4.11, but the difficulty there is obtaining a legal copy without paying through the nose since they are extremely scarce (see Amazon listings etc). Definitely need that memory upgrade there.

Probably your best bang for the buck is to stick with your 10.3.9 with the additional RAM you mentioned. You will notice an improvement with that and Tiger will add a little performance hit compared to sticking with 10.3.9.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Leopard will not install without a lot of hacking around on your part. I'd suggest Tiger, or perhaps even Panther...

4. butchseaman thread starter macrumors member

butchseaman

Good Advice

I kind of thought I should stay with the 10.3.9. which is what I will prob do. Add the RAM and let it go at that I suppose... thanks for the info guys...