Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChillinNigerian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2004
Yooessay
I really cant tell the difference between the two comps specwise. The way i see it, if one chooses to increase the ram on an ibook, it would be similar enough to a pb that it wouldnt be worth shelling out the extra money on a pb. is there anytthing that i am missing that makes the pb much better?

Also, would the fact that i am going to be a compsci major make getting a laptop a bad idea as i would spend many hrs in front of a cpu?

Ryan McCanical

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2004
Powerbooks have built in airport and bluetooth, faster processors, and the superdrive.

Theres a few other things as well. These are the reasons why I stuck to getting a 1.33 powerbook 12".

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
You are right, the surprisingly little differences between the 12" IBook and PowerBook right now. Unless you compare prices in which case you can have the very afordable IBook, or the overly expensive powerBook.

Yes the PowerBook comes with a slightly faster CPU, but if your not going to be doing a huge amount of graphics work (or other CPU intensive work) then this isn't really an issue! Max out the RAM the IBook should easily be compotition for the PowerBook IMO.

The Superdrive is the only option not available for the 12" IBook yet. And even then it shouldn't be counted since it doesn't come as standard on the any of the PowerBooks other than the massive 17" model!

Argumably we could add Mini-DVI out here but then there are ways of doing this on the IBook; only this would void your warrenty! Not something i would recomend.

Adding the BTO to your IBook costs you nearly nothing and you can always add the Airport Extreme card later if you want to spread the cost out a bit. If not, just get it at the same time. But definatly get the BTO since you can't add it later!

So, finally, you've added these things and put a good amount of RAM in there and the IBook will still probably cost less than the PowerBook! What is the real reason for getting the PowerBook!

• 256MB DDR266 SDRAM built-in
• 60GB Ultra ATA drive
• Combo drive (DVD/CD-R)
• AirPort Extreme Card
• Bluetooth Module
• Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English
• 12-inch TFT XGA display
• 1GHz PowerPC G4
• ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memory

Subtotal $1,323.00

VS

• 256MB DDR333 (256MB built-in)
• 60GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200rpm
• Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
• AirPort Extreme Card
• Bluetooth Module
• Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
• 1.33GHz PowerPC G4
• NVIDIA GeForce FX GO 5200 with 64MB DDR Video Memory
• 12.1-inch TFT Display

Subtotal $1,599.00

Think that says it all ;). My $0.2 anyway,

Mark.

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
Just thought i'd mention that the Rev. B 12" models CPU speed is 1Ghz, it seems like the IBook is an updated version about.. 1/2 a step behind :) which makes a lot of sence if you think about it. Where the new PowerBooks shine is at the 15"

Mark.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
The powerbooks have a 64MB video card, the iBook has a 32MB.

I just bought an iBook in March, and am selling it to get a 12' PowerBook for exactly that reason. (Anyone want my iBook? ;))

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
Mmm nope :) i've already ordered my IBook, and if you got it back in march its what, the Rev. before the current one? Maybe 800MHz? It is a shame that the IBook only comes with 32MB of VRAM, but then the graphics card is nicers so ;)

Mark.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
netytan said:
Mmm nope :) i've already ordered my IBook, and if you got it back in march its what, the Rev. before the current one? Maybe 800MHz? It is a shame that the IBook only comes with 32MB of VRAM, but then the graphics card is nicers so ;)

Mark.

yep. 800 (see sig.)

if you know anyone who might be interested, send the my way! ;)

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
Ah, i didnt knowtice that. How much are you selling it for, assuming of course that the RAM types and price are compatable between revisions ;). Spare parts etc :D

Mark.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
netytan said:
Ah, i didnt knowtice that. How much are you selling it for, assuming of course that the RAM types and price are compatable between revisions ;). Spare parts etc :D

Mark.

You know, somebody else has contacted me about purchasing my computer for spare parts... and that really surprises me. The machine is almost brand new, in perfect physical condition, but sports an AE card and BT. So it's going for much more than you'd want to pay for spare parts. :)

budaapple

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2004
Ill.
ibook rocks

:eek: Get the ibook! I am an x Apple sales rep and for the money you cannot go wrong. Most people will not use the DVD burner, most people will not care about the slower video card especially on the 12" model, the mini DVI is nice but then you have to buy a dock to make the whole process simple. My experience with the aluminum case is it scratches relatively easily and you are always having to be extra careful so that it does not. The hard plastic case on the ibook wears much better and is worry free. The inside of the case is easily wiped clean after much finger smudge use and the keys wear much better. I loved the look of the case on the PB, but do I love it enough to spend the extra money; no. The difference in processor speed is miniscule for most people and is hardly noticeable. Load the Ibook with ram and it is plenty quick for most peoples needs. Good Luck and hope this babble helps.

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
michaelrjohnson said:
You know, somebody else has contacted me about purchasing my computer for spare parts... and that really surprises me. The machine is almost brand new, in perfect physical condition, but sports an AE card and BT. So it's going for much more than you'd want to pay for spare parts. :)

LOL well maybe if no one wants it, to be fair people tend not to want to get an already outdated computer, unless the price is very reasonable, then you should consider selling for spares and make some money back on it at least. So how much is it going for :) do you have any pics etc. Maybe my little sis would like it i dont know - i am trying to lead my whole family out of the fire that i windows right now!

Mark.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
My computer:

• 256MB DDR266 SDRAM (128x2)
• 60GB Ultra ATA drive
• Combo drive (DVD/CD-R)
• AirPort Extreme Card
• Bluetooth Module
• 800MHz PowerPC G4

Asking: $1100

Currently available model:

• 256MB DDR266 SDRAM built-in
• 60GB Ultra ATA drive
• Combo drive (DVD/CD-R)
• AirPort Extreme Card
• Bluetooth Module
• 1GHz PowerPC G4

Total: $1,323.00

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
wow you werent kidding were you lol. Good look shifting that i have to say, if it was new you'd be lucky to get that for it. Maybe you should be aiming for around $800. Not sure i've never tried to see one, but i'm pretty sure you can get a 1Ghz referb from Apple for the same price or less :).

Have fun,

Mark.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
netytan said:
wow you werent kidding were you lol. Good look shifting that i have to say, if it was new you'd be lucky to get that for it. Maybe you should be aiming for around $800. Not sure i've never tried to see one, but i'm pretty sure you can get a 1Ghz referb from Apple for the same price or less :).

Have fun,

Mark.

well it looks like you're not my buyer, then, doesn't it. ;)

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
netytan said:
Good look shifting that i have to say, if it was new you'd be lucky to get that for it. Maybe you should be aiming for around $800.

The refurb G4/800 iBooks are going for $850 from Apple. Add $100 for the Airport card, $50 for bluetooth, and $75 for the hard-drive upgrade and you'll find that $1100 isn't to far off the mark. Of course, you'll never get that price from people in these forums... Ebay would be your best bet.

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
Wow ok, i didnt know that. Learn something new every day :). Guess your price isn't that bad after all :D. Shame though. In any case good luck with that man! Let me know when you finally sell the thing :).

Maybe you can sell it back to Apples referb. store. I dont know how this works.

Mark.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
my powerbook fell out of an overhead bin last month flying from Milan to Atlanta.

it was IN my Targus laptop backpack too.. hit an armrest of a chair below.
theres a small dent around the LAN port, i can't help to think that if it was an iBook, it wouldn't have dented but CRACKED the casing.

also, someone mentioned that powerbooks scratch up alot more than ibooks? in my experience this is the opposite. my girlfriend bought an ibook g4 around the sametime i bought my powerbook. i use mine for work, she uses hers much more casually than me (just at home). and her ibook looks ALOT more scuffed up than my powerbook. just my .02

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
The powerbooks are scratch and stain resistant i hear and the ibook can take a lickin well you know the rest.But anything come from the overhead on to the edge of a chair will probably catch a ding in some way.Sorry that happend.ibooks easily scratch

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
nyprospect said:
.But anything come from the overhead on to the edge of a chair will probably catch a ding in some way.Sorry that happend.ibooks easily scratch

exactly, i am just happy that it was a dent.

just remember.
metal bends and dents... plastic cracks.

tekno_geek911

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
I really dont think the iBook would have cracked,those things are built like tanks...I had an iBook fall down a flight of stairs and it survived with only a couple scratches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.