iBook vs. PowerBook vs. MacBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jdlindsey1009, Dec 11, 2007.

1. jdlindsey1009 macrumors newbie

I am a college student on a limited budget looking for a Mac. I am trying to decide if I should go with a used iBook or PowerBook, or if I would get the most out of my money by going for a new MacBook. As I stated, I am a college student and it is Christmas season. So, it would probably be smartest economically to go for a used machine but I also don't want to be stuck with something that will be out of date in a year or two. Thank you for your help and I appreciate it in advance!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Macbook will last the longest

I think buying either the iBook or Powerbook would be penny wise pound foolish.

There is also the option of getting refurb/second hand Macbook.

3. jdlindsey1009 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well being new to this whole Mac world, where would be the best place to find a refurbished or second hand MacBook? I know there is always going directly through Apple, but are there any other worth while options?

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Depends where abouts in the world you are, I'm assuming the US - Hopefully someone from the US will jump in with suggestions

There is the apple refurb store. This changes quite regularly so they may or may not be on there depending on the day.

Second hand - same place as the iBook/powerbooks - eBay/in the market place here/craigslist (not totally sure what that is as from the Uk but it appears quite often on here)/notice boards at your school/uni/where-ever.

How much is your budget? Again hopefully someone from your country will chime in with suggestion as I dont have that great a knowledge on the secondhand prices.

5. lwcoffer2 macrumors member

lwcoffer2

i got my macbook (2nd gen, 2.0GHz C2D black macbook) for $1000 a week ago on the apple refurb site. a great deal on a good notebook that will last me for a while. you have to get up early in the morning to find the best deals though (tues-sat. i believe). plus i got leopard for free along with tiger preinstalled. if you do decide to go for the macbook, look for the ones with the Core 2 Duo processor. hope this helps:)

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

^ is exactly correct. Go for a refurb MacBook. Same warranty as a new machine, and INFINITELY faster (really!) than a Powerbook or iBook. (OK, "infinitely" is a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much.)

And especially compared to a used Powerbook, a refurb MacBook is a great deal, because a used Powerbook will cost just as much as a refurb MacBook, even though it will be significantly slower.

7. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I'd get the Macbook, no question. (if you don't mind the small screen)

Now I will share my powerbook experience...

I have a 3 year old powerbook, that i have used almost every single day for the last 3 years. it still runs amazingly well, runs LEOPARD amazingly well, and does everything I need it to do. I told myself recently that i'll get a new one when this one just doesn't run anymore. I just don't see the need to upgrade for myself and I'm a graphic designer too!

The quality of the powerbooks was wonderful. Can't be beat in my eyes. It's the best computer i've ever owned. That said, I had the screen start to die this summer, which could happen to any notebook. I called apple, they sent me a box, I sent it in, and had it back in 3 days with a brand new screen. It was like having a new machine...so that said...

I will say this...BUY APPLECARE...whatever you do...BUY APPLECARE...
    Cover the computer for a full 3 years and don't worry about it...you will be much happier when you don't have to spend 500+ dollars for a screen replacement or something. I know I was.