Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lelial84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Thinking of getting either an iBook or a Powerbook.

Just wondering what you peeps think of the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I've only ever seen the iBook - and I liked its sexiness (white + plastic)

Mainly for use at university, so battery life is a good thing.
Heat's also something to think about - as my currently laptop is about 8-9 years old, and really, really needs replacing.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
What are you gonna be doin'?
Is a PCMCIA Slot important for you?
What size screen?

a 12" iBook may be the way to go. They're so similar in specs that the iBook is totally spankin' the powerbook in terms of price.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
maya said:
:D

What Maya tries to say is that if you browse through the last couple of weeks of the Buying Tips Forums you'll find many people asking the same (or very close approximations) of that question.

Good luck in finding the right 'Book. I, personally, recommend the 12" iBook at the moment, which IMO has the best value for money. :)

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
I personally can't stand the 'white plastic' look and feel of the iBook...I'm also a bit turned off by the much lower end specs they have (of course I don't use one regularly so that might not be an issue at all).

I've read that the iBook tends to be a little more durable and of course yes it is cheaper to invest in.

I ruled them out awhile ago after I went into a local Apple store and played around with both...the powerbooks are so much nicer looking, feeling, everything imo.

lelial84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Yea - been reading a few

Has the stability of the wireless connection with the powerbooks been increased with that patch that come out?

First time mac buyer here.

digitalmatty

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
toronto
lelial84 said:
Yea - been reading a few

Has the stability of the wireless connection with the powerbooks been increased with that patch that come out?

on a related side-note...are the 12" PB wireless signals as bad as the 15"...that basically is the only thing holding me back between the 12" pb/ib

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I own/ have used both 12" PB and iB-- both 1.33GHz CPUs. Given a choice between those two machines, I'd still pick the iBook. Why?

-much better battery life (6ish hours vs the PB's 4ish)
-much better wifi reception (in one exact spot my iB will get full reception while my PB would struggle to keep 2 bars of reception)
-seems much more durable (I'm also able to compute/transport w/out excessive worrying/babying)
-much cooler (temperature wise, the iB runs much cooler than the PB; the PB would at times get so uncomfortably hot, I'd have to leave it alone for awhile to cool off)

The other thing to keep in mind, my portable is NOT my primary machine so I don't feel like a PB is really worth it to me; I use my iMac G5 for the hardier tasks.

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'd definitely go with the iBook too. Even with performance/cost consideration aside, which is hands down in favor of the iBook for what you are most likely to use it for, I personally find the iBook much more attractive. Every cord and mouse Apple makes is white, which looks far better with a white iBook than with the metallic pBook. I also don't feel comfortable with how think the pBooks seem...I don't know, it just feels like I would constantly worry about breaking it (though I haven't owned one) while the iBook has a good solid form that is sturdy though it is plastic. Certainly no issues with heat either. iBook is the way to go for 95% of people I would guess, though we nerds want to buy the high-end product with the term 'power' in its name.

I think I'm just gonna be content with the iBook I just got and wait for a generation B MacTel pBook, especially if the form changes for the better. Hopefully I'll be allowed to acquire an iMac before then, hehe.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
ibook for sure. I am a junior in mechanical engineering and my ol' 2003 emac still works just fine for me. Since you say you are in college, the cheaper one would be a no brainer right? especially if it could get the job done. Oh i wish I had some spendin money to pay for stuff besides school and rent lol. Yea just so you know, this question has been asked many times before so searching is always a good place to start.

Fireburst

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2005
lelial84 said:
Yea - been reading a few

I just purchased a 15" PB and the wireless reception is excellent.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
It's either the 12" iBook or the 15" PowerBook. Those two are really your only choices if you are looking for an Apple laptop.

lelial84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Thanks!

Yea - I think I prefer the white look of the iBooks.

I have a primary PC (the horror) for more intensive programs, so this will mainly just be use for its portability.

Thanks everyone.

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
Lacero said:
It's either the 12" iBook or the 15" PowerBook. Those two are really your only choices if you are looking for an Apple laptop.

What's wrong with the 14'' iBook? There is a $700 base price difference (probably like $600 for edu discount), which is hefty for some people. If you don't want a really small screen but you don't want to spend over 2 grand for your laptop, I think the 14'' iBook is nice. :D

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
NewbieNerd said:
What's wrong with the 14'' iBook? There is a $700 base price difference (probably like $600 for edu discount), which is hefty for some people. If you don't want a really small screen but you don't want to spend over 2 grand for your laptop, I think the 14'' iBook is nice. :D

What's wrong with the 14" iBook? 1024 x 768. It's the exact same screen real estate as a 12" iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.