iBook: wake up problems after SSD install

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by robertosh, Mar 11, 2013.

1. robertosh macrumors 6502a

robertosh

I've recently installed a ssd pata disk on my ibook g4, a Kingspec 64Gb ".6" version. All is running well but i have a issue with waking up from sleep. The system seems to wake fine, I can move the mouse but after a few seconds the machine hangs and i have to force shutdown. I've tried reseting the PMU and disabling "sleep the disk when possible" option with no luck, any suggestion? I'm using Leopard 10.5.8

2. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Is the IDE bus correctly attached to the motherboard and not hanging out?

3. robertosh thread starter macrumors 6502a

robertosh

Yes, i plugin correctly i think, the rest of the time the machine works fine and fast. Leopard doesn't find any problem in the drive using disk utilities. I've tried a fresh Leopard install with the same issue, anyone with this ssd and similar problem?

thanks!

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

5. robertosh thread starter macrumors 6502a

robertosh

No luck with other hibernate modes, i've tried 1,2 and 3 with no luck. Ik didn't try the 0 mode cause i don't want the computer to turn off.

There isn't nothing in the logs, i think that for any reason the system can't write into the disk after wake up...

6. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Hibernatemode 0 does not turn off the computer. It does not create sleepimage and leaves RAM powered on when sleep.

7. robertosh thread starter macrumors 6502a

robertosh

ok thanks, I've tried it too with no luck... is there any 3rd party software for manage power?

8. robertosh thread starter macrumors 6502a

robertosh

well, i think that i've found the problem. My SSD has to be put in master mode. I've read about it a lot but when i installed the disk i notice that i couldn't put the drive in master mode cause the disk connector is so wide and uses the pins for slave/master selection. I have to open again the ibook and use a "handmade" solution (cutting the connector) for setting the disk in master mode. I will maintain the post updated!

9. robertosh thread starter macrumors 6502a

robertosh

10. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

11. klubben macrumors newbie

I have same problem on my PB, I will try your solution. Thanks.

12. robertosh thread starter macrumors 6502a

robertosh

good luck and be careful cutting the connector. I cut the connector at the middle of the two blank pin hole, as you can see in this image:

[​IMG]

13. klubben macrumors newbie

It works! :)
    PowerBook's connector don't cover last four pins, so even no need to cut
    Many thanks

14. robertosh thread starter macrumors 6502a

robertosh

Congrats!

15. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Would love to hear more about how you feel about the ssd in the ibook...i have a similar ibook (14" 1.33,768,60 gig,leopard).

-taken a few powerbooks and 12" ibooks apart,but never 14"...wonder if i could get away with ide/sata adapter...guessing even if i installed "floating" (for lack of better word),wouldn't be enough room?

-do you notice web page loads faster?

-any extra info would be great....

16. robertosh thread starter macrumors 6502a

robertosh

Why not to use a PATA SSD drive directly?. Anyway, if you want to put a SATA ssd you need a micro ide2sata adapter and a smaller disc, 1.8" instead 2.5". I think that is enough room but you have to find a hand-made solution to fix the disk into the hole.

Yes, all system seems more responsive, including webpages loading. I can record a video using the machine, if you want. You have to take in mind that is an older machine and webpages with a lot HTML5 and flash will be slow even with the ssd.

* Almost twice as fast booting.
    * Much better speed when copying files
    * Absolute working silence (this helps to the speed feeling)
    * Less hot.

Definitely, a great update.

17. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

yes will probably go with pata...just happened to have sata ssd lying around so cost could have been almost nothing except adapter...

thxs for all the info.