Ibook will not turn on

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hiheels, Jul 22, 2008.

1. hiheels macrumors newbie

Here's what happened...I was playing Pacman ...a message popped up that my disconnection was terminated (dial-up), the screen flickered a few times, it went off, and will not come back on! This happened last nite...stll it will not come on...is there anything I can do?
    I'm using Ibook 10.3.9 800 MHz

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Definitely sounds like a logic board failure.

3. Moks macrumors member

My old iBook 14", I think it was 700 MHz or so, screen died about four years ago, just after its Applecare expired:(. There was a thing at the time about some problem with iBook logic boards/graphics chip, and some units qualified for a free replacement if I remember rightly. Unfortunately I was overseas at the time in the wilds (in the Philippines) with no way of getting my iBook to any kind of Apple service centre.

I'm guessing your iBook has suffered a similar fate. Will probably need a new logic board, probably not worth it. I ended up buying a new iBook, & just kept the hard drive from the old one (in a USB/Firewire housing).

4. jcoop macrumors member

Yes, this sounds like the dreaded iBook G3 video flaw. Have you checked to see if external video still works? (In other words, can you connect to a monitor, or is the whole computer dead?)

5. cMacSW macrumors regular

Could be either the graphics chip/logic board issue that others have referred to or the backlight. When the screen flickered did the screen display look scrambled? If so, it's like the graphics chip. If it's the backlight, then when the system is on if you look really closely the screen will be on just very dim.

I just had an ibook with the graphic chip issue repaired so it is possible to fix.