iBook with Tiger -> Leopard?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SavviVague, May 2, 2010.

1. SavviVague macrumors newbie

If I purchase a used iBook with Mac OS X Tiger installed, can I purchase a Leopard disc and install it on the iBook?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If it is a retail copy, then yes. But depending on what iBook you have, Leopard might be too resource hogging. Tiger is the better choice for many G4 Macs.

3. SavviVague thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking on purchasing one with this description:

Condition: Used Processor Type: PowerPC G3
    Product Family: iBook Processor Speed (per Core): 600 MHz
    Screen Size: 14 inch Processor Configuration: Single Core
    Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4, Tiger Memory (RAM): 256 MB
    Primary Drive: CD-RW/DVD Combo Hard Drive Capacity: 20 GB

I think it has too low of specs to use Leopard... am I right?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) wants a G4 CPU with 867MHz at minimum, but some have managed to get Leopard running on lower specs. In my experience, I would advise against running Leopard and sticking with Tiger. It's a good OS (the best in my eyes regarding stability) so the only thing missing is Spaces and QuickLook. (And other things of course.)

5. SavviVague thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies. :)

I've used a PC all my life and am not very mac-savvy. I just recently used a mac for the first time and fell in love with it and am looking to buy one of my own.

I'm wondering, How customizable is the desktop? Can I change the color or style of the dock? Can I change the background wallpaper? etc.

Thanks again for all your time

6. robbier macrumors member

Mac laptops are great, especially iBooks. I recently bought an iBook and it is working wonderfully. One word of caution, though: If you plan on watching youtube videos on the machine, I would recommend getting the 1.33GHz G4 iBook, as that is the first iBook that supports Core Image (That is a technology that, if supported, allows Flash Player to run faster).