Ibook With Virtual PC

brenton

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
Florida
hello, Could I use an Ibook with a Virtual pc to play games or would I need a powerbook.

Thanks

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
You can certainly run virtual PC on an iBook. However, when you say "play games", the games you'll be able to play in virtual PC - on ANY platform, even a G5 - is very limited. There have been threads on this in the Gaming forum.

Comment

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
Games . . . ah, yah . . . my iBook runs MineSweeper just fine in VPC.

Comment

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Your iBook will run, natively, a number of games. That means no Virtual PC. But Doom 3... well... a G5 is a recommended processor, so I doubt you bought that iBook to game, right?

Comment

brenton

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
Florida
I havent gotten the Ibook yet. Im deciding between that and a mac mini. If I get more money I will get an ibook.

Comment

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
DOS games run pretty good on a G5. Probably an iBook will done fine also. Once the rumored Virtual PC 8 gives you native graphics support with DirectX then a high-end Mac should be able to play mostly any game over 4 years ago as well as a PC of that time period. Emulation is very difficult process with only software. It is a miracle that it can run Windows XP.

Comment

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
BornAgainMac said:
It is a miracle that it can run Windows XP.
Hehe. Windows 2000 runs pretty nicely under VPC... but Win98 works much better. To get native speed, try Win3.1 or something.

WinXP is slower than anything you want to try. So don't.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.