iBook won't connect to a WEP enabled router

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DanielCalladine, Mar 5, 2011.

1. DanielCalladine macrumors member

Hello,

I recently put together an iBook G3 out of spares as a project, which I have been able to get working.

The only problem I have is that the Airport card will only connect to my router when no password is enabled. As soon as I enable a WEP password the iBook will no longer connect.

I get an error message "There was an error joining the Airport network"

Has anyone come across this before?

Regards, Daniel

2. MacHamster68, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

you need to type in your passphrase if you use wep , not your password , thats the whole idea of wep
    i the router you create a password , select wep encryption and then usually you get the choice of 4 ,some routers offer more choices of passphrases to select , and the one you select is the one you need to use ...hope i confused you enough

but here i found a nice picture that should explain it better
    [​IMG]

so in that example your iBooks airport will not connect if you use the "MySekretKey" because thats your password you had choosen as passphrase , but it will connect if you use "BA3777C135" because thats the wep encrypted generated passphrase and the one you did select (just for example ) and the one you need to put in the settings of your airport in the iBook

...hope i confused you enough

3. DanielCalladine thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply,

That's what I did, I enabled WEP encryption, entered a passphrase in the router and used that key in the iBook.

It was a 10 character hex password so the iBook should be able to handle that.

Any other ideas?

Cheers, Daniel

4. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

what os are you running on the G3?

i had a similar issue a few years ago, depending on what brand of wifi/router id wanna connect to it would and others it wouldent..

it had something to do with the wep password needing a "&" or "$" before the password string.

i believe it was "&" obviously without the "" 's

anyways, dont ask me why, thats just what it was with /that/ particular brand of wifi/modem router...

your milage may ofcourse vary.

cheers

V.

5. DanielCalladine thread starter macrumors member

Yes that worked, putting the '$' before the wep password for some reason allowed it to connect.

Thanks for your help