iBook won't connect to a WEP enabled router

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DanielCalladine, Mar 5, 2011.

1. DanielCalladine macrumors member

Jul 19, 2008

I recently put together an iBook G3 out of spares as a project, which I have been able to get working.

The only problem I have is that the Airport card will only connect to my router when no password is enabled. As soon as I enable a WEP password the iBook will no longer connect.

I get an error message "There was an error joining the Airport network"

Has anyone come across this before?

Regards, Daniel
  2. MacHamster68, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

Sep 17, 2009
    you need to type in your passphrase if you use wep , not your password , thats the whole idea of wep
    i the router you create a password , select wep encryption and then usually you get the choice of 4 ,some routers offer more choices of passphrases to select , and the one you select is the one you need to use ...hope i confused you enough

but here i found a nice picture that should explain it better

so in that example your iBooks airport will not connect if you use the "MySekretKey" because thats your password you had choosen as passphrase , but it will connect if you use "BA3777C135" because thats the wep encrypted generated passphrase and the one you did select (just for example ) and the one you need to put in the settings of your airport in the iBook

...hope i confused you enough
  3. DanielCalladine thread starter macrumors member

Jul 19, 2008
    Thanks for your reply,

That's what I did, I enabled WEP encryption, entered a passphrase in the router and used that key in the iBook.

It was a 10 character hex password so the iBook should be able to handle that.

Any other ideas?

Cheers, Daniel
  4. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    what os are you running on the G3?

i had a similar issue a few years ago, depending on what brand of wifi/router id wanna connect to it would and others it wouldent..

it had something to do with the wep password needing a "&" or "$" before the password string.

i believe it was "&" obviously without the "" 's

anyways, dont ask me why, thats just what it was with /that/ particular brand of wifi/modem router...

your milage may ofcourse vary.

5. DanielCalladine thread starter macrumors member

Jul 19, 2008
    Yes that worked, putting the '$' before the wep password for some reason allowed it to connect.

Thanks for your help