ibookg4 800 mhz ram encore!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ljw1976, May 20, 2009.

1. Ljw1976 macrumors member

just thought i would ask.if i upgrade to 512-1gb ..what significant difference would i see in my ibook..???

1-faster loading of web pages..?

2-faster scrolling when surfing..?

3-faster loading of applications..?

4-what else..?

thanks once again

2. Toofan macrumors member

A very short and informal answer to this question is...you'll see a speed increase in almost everything.

Here's a good way of looking at it. I hope you have the time to read it to help you better understand.

Think of RAM as a binder filled with papers. If you have 512 MB of RAM, you have 512 pieces of blank paper in that binder. Every time you want to use a program on your Mac, you need to look in that binder to see if the program information is on a page / multiple pages in your binder. If it isn't, you have to walk over to your bookshelf (hard drive), which takes you a while, and copy what you need into your binder. You can only store 512 pages worth of information in your binder, so if you want to store more than 512 pages worth of information (current programs your Mac is running), you have to erase existing pages and rewrite them with new information you want. Now imagine I give you 512 MORE pages to put in your binder. Now you have to walk over to your bookshelf less often because you have more pages to write on, and there's a greater chance the page you'll need is already in your binder and hasn't been erased because of a lack of space. :)

3. Ljw1976 thread starter macrumors member

such a good answer...

but to be frank..it helps me alot to iunderstand now..

so i wanna ask one more thing tyo this thread...could it make my online gaming capabilities i.e return to castle wolfenstein enemy territory any smoother..???

thats all i wanna add to this thread...:)?

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It may, but chances are you'll still be limited by the "GPU" in the iBook.