Ibookg4 to macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by demebert, May 5, 2011.

1. demebert macrumors newbie

I have an old 2004 IBook G4.. unfortunately when it stopped working I simply bought another one with the intention of having the old one repaired eventually. However I went online today to set up a repair only to find they are no longer repairing the old versions. My ibook no longer even turns on and I was wondering if there is any way at all I can transfer my photos and such to my macbook without being able to turn the ibook on, thanks for your help.

2. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

The only way would be to remove the hard drive from the old iBook and put it in an external caddy so you can grab all your data from your new machine.

However this is no easy feat. I once had the pleasure of taking apart an iBook for a drive upgrade and it wasnt easy, but I had to be careful as it was a working iBook. You have the luxury of not having to worry about damaging the machine.

Here is the guide from iFixit.

3. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

preface: I hate repairing iBooks. There are a ********* of screws, top case, bottom case, top shield, bottom shield, etc. However, getting to the hard drive would not be so bad because there is no intention of putting it back together.

That being said, you could probably get to it in less than 20 minutes and feel no remorse for a computer that you no longer care about. You would need a 2.5" IDE/PATA to USB sled as msjones said, or get a USB enclosure that supports a 2.5" IDE/PATA hard drive