iBooks 1.1 (with pdf support) available now!!

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by shadowness, Jun 21, 2010.

1. shadowness macrumors regular

2. Deamos macrumors member

3. shadowness thread starter macrumors regular

so its just an optimized preview app on the ipad. just basic viewer. goodreader is much better. only thing is the eyecandy and somewhat faster page slides.
    landscape view sucks. (imho)

some screenshots:

Bookshelf

[​IMG]

Sample book
    [​IMG]

Fullscreen
    [​IMG]

Landscape view
    [​IMG]

Content view
    [​IMG]

4. Red5403 macrumors member

I know my request is silly, but I was hoping for the page turn feature like the epub books have. I've tried converting them using calibre, but they have never really converted well. So I've been using GoodReader which is great... Just hoping for the page turns. I know that is truly not that important, but would have been cool.

I haven't tried it out too much yet, but does it annotate pdf's? I need to play around with it some..

5. shadowness thread starter macrumors regular

It does nothing other than viewing, no page turns, no annotation, no highlighting, no content view(just pg thumbnails), no pg link recognition, no 2pg view.

Goodreader is heaven send and the best 99c i have spent on an app! atleast for now.

we may expect additional functionalities in the future.... Maybe iOS 5?

6. uraniumwilly macrumors 6502

I have 300 some-odd books (Gutenberg classics.) and it loads faster. That's good. We still can't organize our library as we please, but I hope we'll get there someday.

A much greater number of available books is important too.

7. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Yeh, iBook organization... please. Also, how about a way to convert PDF's into ePub's using Pages or iTunes? iTunes allows me to convert CD's into MP3's, so why not convert PDF's into ePub? I know of Caliber, but that is painful to look at.

8. Red5403 macrumors member

There is a list view with organization options, was that there before, or is that new... And I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for or not.

9. belvdr macrumors 603

How about changing those IMG tags to TIMG and help the Internet.

10. caubeck macrumors 6502

Impressed only by Apple's continuous refrain from adding the features we all look forward to.

So, my PDFs now sit on a shelf so conveniently near the button for Store #3.

Can't wait for iAds!

11. uraniumwilly macrumors 6502

Right. I want to create my own categories and subcategories.

12. Red5403 macrumors member

Ok, gotcha. I just took a minute and played around with it some. Um, it actually took about 10 seconds, because for PDFs, you can only organize the order in the list and I didn't see anything about putting them in categories.

In the books part (non-PDF), I only have the Winnie book, and some sample chapters of other books, and in the edit->list view, you can also only organize their order and the rest is automatically filled in.

Bummer. I guess I build myself up with high hopes. And while I really love GoodReader, there is something cool about iBooks - and it is probably great for ePub formatted materials...

Guess I'll have to get better at converting them with Calibre so that the render as closely to the PDF as possible.

13. Tweetybird macrumors newbie

The dictionary feature no longer works with epub books.:confused:
    Is there any way to rollback to the previous version? Dictionary lookup was my favorite feature.

14. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

none of the books?

I liked that feature as well.

15. Tweetybird macrumors newbie

It works with books I purchased but not in any epub book. I really miss the feature too. It seems slower too. It also shuffled all my books.

16. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I really hate to ask this...... Hmmm how do you enable the PDF reading option?
    I don't see that anywhere and It's not in iTunes as a file sharing App and I can't read anything PDF on my iPad.

I must be dain bread at the moment.

17. shadowness thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Done that!

18. glitch44 macrumors 65816

Did you follow the directions in the first post?

19. shadowness thread starter macrumors regular

1.copy files from your Mac/pc into the books folder in iTunes library!
    2.email a PDF to yourself and open via iPad Mail app
    3. If you have good reader or similar app installed go to manage files, select a PDF and use open with, you will see an option with iBooks.

After the first PDF file is saved in iBooks, you will have the books|PDF switcher next to the store button in iBooks.

20. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I did not click the link

Thanks a bunch :)

21. shadowness thread starter macrumors regular

Same here!!!
    Works with the purchased books and the free downloads! But none of my other pub books!

dang! That's a wonderful feature, the new PDF feature does nothing to better that! iFail !!!:mad:

22. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Hahahah, Well? It hosed iBooks. When I open iBooks on the iPad it's blank. I had about 20 books.

This is an interesting update. I will see what re-installing it does with an iTunes sync.

Edit* Everything came back just fine after a new install or sync with iTunes. I will say this, iBooks does not do well with large PDF's.
    The smaller ones under 50 pages w/little to no graphics it's fine.

PDF Reader Apps have nothing to worry about for awhile longer.

23. wasabe34 macrumors newbie

The content view is great for magazines. Overall, I'm pleased.

24. Linchpin macrumors newbie

Dictionary still works fine on my epubs...

Loving the Sepia paper option.

Page turning on PDFs seems faster than GoodReader too.

25. admanimal macrumors 68040

One thing that iOS 4 on the phone now has is the ability to save PDFs from a web site to iBooks. iBooks on the iPad will be way more useful when it gets this feature (it requires an OS update since has to modify Safari, not just iBooks).