Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
I just finished a book on the iPad and a friend who was reading the printed version along with me said, "did you see all of the pictures of the author and his family?" There weren't any pictures in my electronic version. Is that normal? I would be frustrated if this is the case.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
Really depends on the publisher. Some include, a lot don't. Depends on how 'crucial' they are to the book. Kinda like not getting the dvd extras, menus, what have you when you download a movie through itunes.

wyneken

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
The great State of Maine
That's disappointing.

Yeah -- but it's also temporary, I think. The publishing industry is struggling to adapt to newer technologies -- my own publisher, Random House, has still not signed on to the iBookstore at all, the last I heard -- but in time, publishers will surely realize the potential to spice up digital books with multimedia content, not just pictures, and sell e-books as "enhanced" products. They'll need to do this to compete for a limited, and maybe declining, population of book readers.

All good things in time.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
Although it is not a book you may want to download the "Wired" magazine app to see what can be done with books and magazines on the iPad.

wyneken was right this is just getting started, this is so revolutionary that a lot of people who have been outside the digital print world have to figure out what to do with it. Even Kindle which I believe still does not have the ability to show pictures will ultimately go that way.

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
eBooks on a machine like the iPad are still in their infancy. I'm sure in no time there will be interactive books, along with extras like the ones you are speaking of.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Check out the Alice in Wonderland book app.

It kept my 8 year old son engaged while reading it. I'm sure there are other apps similar to this and there are more one way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.